Hometap has an ambitious mission to make homeownership less stressful and more accessible. Our vision is to make the idea of bringing on an investor for your home as ubiquitous as borrowing to finance a home is today. We also aspire to build a long lasting durable financial-technology company that becomes a hallmark of the Boston economy.
We are passionately building a business and industry that is homeowner-centric and empowers current and prospective homeowners to access their home's equity, free of debt. Our first product allows a homeowner to tap into the built-in value of their home in order to do the big-ticket stuff that makes life better: start a business, renovate their home, get out from under crippling debt, pay for college tuition or help family members in times of need.
Today, Hometap makes investments in residential homes, buying a small equity stake against the homes future value. For homeowners, this is a simplified, sensible alternative to mortgage debt and monthly payments. For investors, this is a new asset class, allowing them to participate in the multi-trillion-dollar residential real estate market without the obligations and downsides of homeownership. This product is scaling rapidly and we have begun our plans to expand our platform to support numerous other products over time, complex data science-driven pricing, and investment structure permutations. Our solution leverages advanced data and analytics as we create best-in-class experiences for our homeowners, business and asset capital partners.
To achieve our mission of making homeownership more accessible and less stressful requires bringing on board a diverse, empathetic, intelligent team. We are looking for a General Counsel to join our dynamic leadership team. This executive role will report directly to the CEO and play a major role in our business. This is an exciting opportunity for the right candidate to make an enormous impact as the business expands, helping us improve the speed and quality of critical business decisions.
Who You Are
To be successful in this role youll need to have legal and business expertise, but also bring a passion and understanding for entrepreneurship. Youll need to be a high character individual with a high level of integrity. You will be a person who is good at execution, works well within a team and has the ability and confidence to take the lead and guide others. You will be skilled at assessing and providing organized legal guidance on short timelines and then helping to execute selected business decisions. As we build a brand and new products in a nascent space, as General Counsel you will need to love problem-solving in an uncertain environment.
As General Counsel, you will oversee all strategic and tactical legal initiatives for Hometap. As part of the executive team, you will provide effective advice on company strategies and their implementation, manage the legal function, and obtain and oversee the work of outside counsel. To be successful, youll need to help us build a legal strategy that balances our business needs with our legal and ethical responsibilities.
At Hometap, the legal function consists of three distinct categories for which you will be directly responsible.
Regulatory Matters: As a new product in the consumer home financing space, Hometap must be aware of and compliant with all applicable, federal, state, and local consumer finance and protection laws. You will help Hometap form a legal position and compliance strategy related to applicable laws and regulations, ensuring that we accomplish our business needs inclusive of our legal obligations. Youll help us craft the documents that homeowners execute to enter into a Hometap investment, build an efficient and compliant investment process, implement a long-term state by state rollout strategy, assess new product opportunities, and develop an ongoing regulatory position and framework for the Company.
Capital Markets: Hometaps growth requires sustained growth in the number of investments we make, which requires a significant amount of capital. Youll help us maintain existing investment funds and credit facilities as well as explore new structures and sources of capital as we scale. You will be responsible for the legal and compliance components of those fundraising efforts, including negotiating terms, fund formation, documentation, compliance, etc.
General Corporate: You will help with all the general corporate legal matters at Hometap. Examples include vendor contracts and contractor agreements, NDAs, employee agreements, equity grants, employee handbook matters, compliance documentation, etc.
As such, your responsibilities will include:
- Leading the overall legal strategy and risk assessment for the Company.
- Management of the Legal Team.
- Driving the legal processes, procedures and infrastructure necessary to control and streamline legal review, documents, approvals and record keeping and to help Hometap scale into a much larger company.
- Interfacing with other executive leadership and the Board of Directors to provide legal and strategic advice across a wide range of business and legal matters.
- Working with the Capital Markets team on strategic planning and execution of capital formation opportunities.
- Structuring, drafting, and negotiating commercial agreements.
- Working with business partners to drive appropriate review and approval processes.
- Partnering with the executive team on corporate governance matters, including matters related to the Board, shareholders, auditors, and regulators.
- Managing necessary state and federal licensing requirements, including RIA registration and ongoing compliance.
- Tracking and analyzing legislative, business and regulatory issues relating to Company operations, contractual obligations, and compliance programs.
- Advising on legal aspects of the Companys financing activities.
- Developing and implementing an overall corporate risk/compliance program.
- Overseeing the management and retention of outside counsel.
- Counseling management on employment and HR matters.
What You Bring:
- Significant experience in at least two of the three major categories listed above
- J.D. degree from a school of law accredited by the American Bar Association
- Admission to the Bar and experience practicing law in Massachusetts and other states
- Significant experience in a law firm environment, and at least 5+ years legal practice experience as internal counsel working in emerging growth companies.
- Extensive knowledge of federal and state regulatory and consumer financial services laws and regulations.
- Entrepreneurial mindset
- Analytical problem-solving skills
- Strong communication and organization skills
- Direct experience in the consumer home financing or related space is a major plus
Our Team & Culture
At Hometap, we pride ourselves on being Owners -- of our jobs, our output, our careers -- and Good Neighbors -- we believe helping each other means helping the company, homeowners, and investors succeed.
Equally important to your skill set is what you bring to our team and business. We are looking for a creative thinker who looks for opportunities within challenges, rolls up their sleeves to get things done, values collaboration and communication, and embraces the Homeowner-first mentality. Critical to our mission is being thoughtful in everything we build. If youre someone who embraces this builder mentality, youll be right at home here.