Who we are
We are a rapidly growing startup launched by serial entrepreneurs and run by a team gathered from the publishing and tech industries. Millions of readers use our products every day to find great books, and our service empowers thousands of leading publishers and authors to drive sales and find new fans. Were expanding our team to address the challenges and opportunities of the publishing industry while continuing to help readers find stories and authors theyll love. Check out BookBub and our audiobooks retailing platform, Chirp, and learn more about what to expect working at BookBub.
Our engineering philosophy
We organize into small cross-functional teams that are deeply focused on one product or initiative. These teams are empowered to make product and technology decisions and quickly build the best solutions for our readers, publishers and authors. Our typical teams consist of four to five engineers, a product manager, and a designer. We lean heavily on automation, good test coverage, and continuous deployment to ensure were constantly getting rapid feedback from our users, and follow the approach of starting small, shipping often, and deferring unnecessary complexity. Our teams are strongest when we arent over-specialized or operating in separate silos, so we encourage our engineers to rotate teams about once per year.
We believe that we build better products when our teammates have a variety of perspectives and experiences, so we care a lot about creating a supportive and inclusive environment; its important that everybody who joins BookBub cares about this, too.
Learn more about what to expect in our engineering interviews.
In your first six months, youll likely:
- Build, launch and test several significant new features
- Ship code to production ~100 times via our continuous deployment pipeline
- Pick up a few new programming techniques and hear about several new technologies from our continuously learning team
- Work closely with other product, design, analytics, & other from the business stakeholders in a cross functional team
- Write lots of integration and unit tests (no separate QA team here)
- Engage in many deep technical discussions with really friendly and talented engineers
- Solve at least one really hard scaling challenge
- Work across our entire stack: Rails, AWS, Postgres, React.js, Redis, Snowflake, AWS Lambda, Ansible, Clojure, GraphQL, Airflow, and more (its fine if you havent worked with this stack before)
Were looking for engineers who:
- Are smart, friendly, collaborative, and intellectually curious
- Love to learn and teach, to be both mentors and mentees
- Are sensitive to the perspectives of others and care about creating a positive and inclusive environment
- Possess good judgement on technical tradeoffs
- Enjoy moving products forward quickly, but want to work at a sustainable pacewe're building a business with long-term value
- Have experience building web/mobile/internet products
- Note: distributed systems and high-scale experience are a big pluses, but not required
BookBub offers competitive benefit options including medical, dental, vision, 401k, generous paid parental leave, and take-what-you-need paid time off.
Remote work flexibility
Our team has where-you-work flexibility that allows you to choose a predominantly remote, in-office, or hybrid setup. Our office is located within Cambridge, Massachusetts. Well help each team member figure out the work set up thats best for them, including WFH equipment or a dedicated desk space in our office. We value the health and safety of our people above all else, and our in-person work options will remain contingent on local safety guidelines and recommendations.
Your interview experience
Our goal is to create an environment where you can interview at your best. At this time, our interview process is fully remote, conducted via phone and video calls. If we can provide any assistance or accommodations during your time with us, please let us know at [email protected]. All requests are treated as privately as possible and have no impact on candidate eligibility.
Not sure which of our open roles to apply for? Apply for any that align with your interests and experiences, and mention in your application that you would also be open to the other roles. If we think you would be a good fit for any of them, we'll reach out so that we can talk through the options with you.
BookBub strives to be an inclusive workplace and we value learning from different perspectives. We seek to foster an environment filled with people from a wide variety of backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.