Now, more than ever, the Toast team is committed to our customers. Were taking steps to help restaurants navigate these unprecedented times with technology, resources, and community. Our focus is on building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love. And because our technology is purpose-built for restaurants, by restaurant people, restaurants can trust that well deliver on their needs for today while investing in experiences that will power their restaurant of the future.
Bready* to make a change?
Restaurants are one of the many Small & Medium Business industries that have been ignored by big banks, making access to investment and working capital very difficult. Whether a restaurant is expanding, renovating, or simply dealing with unexpected equipment failures, owners have very few viable financial options to manage these investments & expenses. Over the course of 2020, access to capital has become even more important.
The vision of the Lending team at Toast is to redefine financial services by empowering restaurant owners with affordable lending and financial partnership. Today, our team owns our end-to-end loan origination platform that guides a user through the application, fund disbursement, and servicing experiences. We also use our platform to connect prospective customers with financing options for Toast hardware purchases. Another recent project we completed was to facilitate Toast customers applying to the US Small Business Administrations Restaurant Revitalization Fund.
Were looking for a Front-End Senior Software Engineer to join our team to help us grow and develop these and related products.
About this roll* (Responsibilities):
- Lead complex, high impact projects to develop and improve the front-end experience for all of our lending applications.
- Collaborate with our product manager and product designer and other software engineers.
- Mentor and guide your peers, while also learning from their diverse experiences.
- Utilize and help refine cross-org best practices, tools and libraries for front-end development and testing.
- Review code to ensure technical implementation meets functional requirements.
Do you have the right ingredients* (Requirements)?
- Hands-on experience building and shipping front-end applications built using modern web standards and technologies (e.g. HTML5, CSS, React, GraphQL).
- Desire to balance user experience principles with data to improve our product.
- Growth mindset with an emphasis on learning and self/team-improvement.
- Respectful, empathetic and humble.
- Focused on getting things done and customer success.
- Enjoy working in a team environment with a shared code-base.
* Bread puns encouraged but not required.
Our Tech Stack
Our products run on a stack that ranges from guest and restaurant-facing Android tablets to backend services in Java to internal, guest-facing and restaurant-facing web apps. Our backend
services follow a microservice architecture written using Java 8 and DropWizard; we use AWS extensively, ranging from S3 to RDS to Lambda. We have our own platform for dealing with user
management, service elevations and robust load balancing. We store data in a set of sharded Postgres databases and utilize Apache Spark for large scale data workloads including query and batch processing. The web frontend is built using React, Angular, and ES6. Our main point of sale application is an Android application written in Java and Kotlin. For communication between tablets and our cloud platform, we utilize RabbitMQ clusters as well as direct API communication to our HTTP backend.