iRobot is seeking a bright and energetic student to join their Optical Science and Engineering Team. As an iRobot intern, you will work both independently and with other interns to directly support the engineering staff setting up precision optical equipment, data collection, and design of laboratory fixtures.
The ideal candidate would be matriculated in a Applied Physics or Engineering Optics, or Electrical Engineering focused on Optical design & metrology.
This is a full-time 2021 Fall Co-op position.
What you will do:
- Test and evaluate optical components used in consumer robotic applications
- Disassemble and assemble robots for optical testing
- Computer Aided Design (CAD) support for optical experimental test fixture design
- Optical data collection and data analysis of robotic components
- Written and verbal reports of data collection, analysis, fixture design, and equipment setup and usage guidelines
To be successful you will have:
- Currently enrolled in Masters Degree level Physics, Material Science & Engineering, Electrical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering with a focus on Optics analysis, design, or research
- Familiar with optical laboratory equipment and operation
- Familiar with computational data analysis and numerical methods (MATLAB, Mathematica, MiniTAB, Excel VBA)
- Demonstrated communication skills (written, verbal, and in presentation)
- Responsible attitude
- Organized and motivated work ethic
In return you can expect:
- Driven, relaxed, and rewarding team environment
- On-site responsibilities (3-5 days/week) optical laboratory and office environment in Bedford, MA
- Modern office, with cafeteria, gym, and free electric car charging.
- State-of-the-art on-site rapid prototyping, machine shop and test lab capabilities.