Our mission at Sense is to reduce global carbon emissions by making homes smart and efficient. Were serious about having a real impact on climate change by empowering people to easily take care of their homes and to actively participate in a cleaner, more resilient future.
To accomplish our mission, we are building an AI and automation platform for home energy infrastructure. Our consumer product, built on our unique machine learning technology, gives people visibility into the energy usage of their homes and provides insights to simplify saving energy and money. We are a team of highly curious, collaborative engineers who enjoy working together to solve a wide range of interesting technical challenges across a deep stack that spans embedded, native mobile, web, and the cloud. If the idea of having a significant positive impact on our product (and climate) sounds exciting to you, let's talk!
The ideal candidate will have experience with the following:
- Developing with a compiled language (e.g. C or Rust) for Linux systems
- Networking and network protocols
Onsite in our Cambridge, MA office is preferred, but we're open to discussion if you're well set up for remote embedded development. All of our EE is done in-house, so you'll be working closely with the hardware team to make our hardware sing. You will also be working directly with our product team to develop new user-facing features. To be successful in this role, you should love working from the very low-level all the way up to the user experience, and everything in between.
- Self-motivated and inquisitive style. The problems we solve aren't listed on Stack Overflow. You should enjoy digging deep to find solutions.
- Experience with Python is a plus
- Experience with embedded Linux on GHz-class ARM SoCs
- Experience with network security is a plus
- Authorized to work in the US
We are a team of generalists, which means that we believe your previous experience is valuable, even if it's not directly related to this role's requirements. Impress us with your ability to thrive in an environment where you are challenged to learn new skills and solve difficult problems.
Sense supports a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other. We welcome candidates with backgrounds that are traditionally underrepresented in tech, and we strive to foster an engaging, respectful and supportive community where everyone feels empowered to do their best work. Sense is committed to being an equal opportunity employer.
Sense is a growing VC-backed startup with an experienced leadership team and revolutionary machine learning technology.
- Best Startups in Cambridge - Tech Tribune
- "One of the world's top 100 AI companies" - VentureBeat
- Clean Tech Company of the Year - New England Venture Capital Association
- 50 on Fire - BostInno
- Top 100 - Red Herring
- Best Consumer AI Technology - AI Dev World
- Global Cleantech 100
- Competitive compensation including equity
- Remote or local/hybrid in our Cambridge Central Square office
- Home office setup allowance ($200/year)
- Great work-life balance
- Flexible work hours
- Vacation starting at 3 weeks/year + 1 week paid sick time
- Paid parental leave (5 weeks or more depending on location)
- Dependent Care Accounts
- Generous healthcare benefits for employees and dependents
- Medical (90% of the premium and first 50% of the deductible)
- Dental (90%)
- Vision (100%)
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Life, AD&D, long- and short-term disability insurance (100%)
- 401k plan with employer match
- Free Sense energy monitor for your home, discounts for friends and family