America's Test Kitchen is looking for a visionary storyteller to lead the Cooks Country editorial team. The editor-in-chief develops and executes the strategy for making iconic content that empowers home cooks and tells the story of cooking in America. The editor-in-chief is responsible for leading the team that creates Cooks Country magazine (circulation 275,000) and develops recipe and travel content featured on the Cooks Country TV show (2.0 million viewers every week on public television) as well as Cooks Country digital and social platforms.
In addition to managing the content creation process and leading the content team, the editor-in-chief is the public face of the brand and will host a new Cooks Country podcast and have a role on the Cooks Country television show. The editor-in-chief will partner with our Executive Producer for TV & Podcast to develop this new podcast and evolve the television show to include a new on-camera role for the EIC. In addition, the editor-in-chief will partner with the Executive Producer for Video to develop a video strategy for the brand and may have an on-camera role in this content. The editor-in-chief will also handle PR duties, including media appearances and interviews, to help increase awareness of the brand and promote the magazine.
Mentorship and management of the staff is a key part of this position. In addition to leading a nine-person editorial team, the editor-in-chief directly manages the Executive Food Editor and the Managing Editor. The editor-in-chief also partners with a variety of content and business partners throughout the company, including content leaders in television/podcast and video as well as business leaders in email, social, marketing, digital, and finance.
This position reports to the Chief Creative Officer, who leads the content teams that produce magazines, books, television shows, podcasts, videos, product reviews, and online cooking school curriculum as well as books, digital content, and subscription boxes for children.
- Leads process to evolve the vision for the brand across multiple platforms (print, digital, and social)
- Collaborates across the organization with key stakeholders in social, email, marketing, TV, podcast, video as well as with the Chief Creative Officer and executive leadership team
- Sets editorial vision for the magazine and manages editorial process from story development through to page design
- Manages editing of copy and edits feature pieces in each issue
- Develops writing skills of recipe developers whose primary experience is in the kitchen
- Mentors staff and creates culture of inclusion and opportunity
- Manages Executive Food Editor and Managing Editor
- Manages hiring and training process for the team
- Manages editorial budget
- Partners with Executive Producer for Television and Podcast and her team to increase alignment between the magazine and television show and create new on-the-road TV segments that highlight the reporting originally done for the magazine
- Cast member of Cooks Country TV show (exact role to be determined based on skill set and interest)
- Partner with Executive Producer for Television and Podcast and her team to develop new Cooks Country podcast with focus on telling the story of cooking in America
- Host Cooks Country podcast
- Partner with Executive Producer for Video and her team to develop video strategy for the brand and determine how to leverage and translate magazine content into compelling videos for internal and external channels
- Partner with digital and social teams to create content for Cooks Country website and social platforms and bring new audiences to the brand
- Look for new opportunities to generate revenue, increase engagement with the content, and find and convert new audiences
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Strong writer and editor with significant catalog of food clips and/or cookbooks
- Solid digital publishing experience with track record of creating content that generates traffic and engagement
- Fluency in social media and emerging platforms
- Varied cooking background (cooking school grad or restaurant experience a plus but not required)
- Ability to speak confidently and with precision about cooking is a must
- Able to assess recipes and provide directional feedback on how to evolve them to tell a better story and provide maximum utility for end user
- Strong communicator with track record of national PR (experience cooking on TV or video a plus)
- Strong interviewer/reporter who can host a podcast (podcast experience a plus)
- Experienced, thoughtful, inclusive leader (previous management experience preferred)
WHO WE ARE
Americas Test Kitchen has been teaching home cooks how to be successful in the kitchen since 1993. Our mission is to empower and inspire confidence, community, and creativity in the kitchen. Millions watch our two shows on public television, read our two flagship magazines (Cooks Illustrated and Cooks Country), and rely on our books, websites, videos, and podcasts. America's Test Kitchen is located in a state-of-the-art Boston facility with 15,000 sq. ft. of test kitchen and studio space. More than 50 test cooks exhaustively test recipes until we arrive at the best version. A panel of 60,000 highly engaged volunteer home cooks provides detailed feedback on our recipes so we know they work every time. We also rate cookware and supermarket ingredients to help home cooks select the best-quality products. The America's Test Kitchen television show launched in 2001, and the company added a second television program, Cook's Country, in 2008. Americas Test Kitchen Kids launched in 2018 and offers books, subscription boxes, and a website to educate the next generation of home cooks.
Submit your resume and a cover letter as well as links to writing, video, and audio clips.