American Well, a national leader in the rapidly growing field of telehealth, seeks a highly motivated and professional Director, Physician Relations. We partner with the top health systems, health plans, employers, and digital health companies to deliver video doctor visits over mobile and web. We are changing the way healthcare is delivered by enabling every doctor to use telehealth with their patients, making care more accessible, affordable and convenient. Our goal is to bring care home.
The Director, Physician Relations will play a critical role in the Online Care Group. Specifically, the Director, Physician Relations will lead all clinician recruitment, training, communication, activation and retention efforts for American Well’s affiliated Online Care Group (OCG). The OCG includes over 1,500 physicians, nutritionists, therapists and others, all practicing telehealth on American Well’s client platforms. The Director, Provider Relations works closely with American Well’s Marketing and Operations teams in determining and fulfilling provider staffing goals.
- Lead a team of recruiters pursuing clinicians interested in earning part-time or fulltime income in providing telehealth services
- Coordinate, negotiate and handle activities of provider contracting, network development
- Forecast future provider staffing requirements by state, specialty and provider type and develops corresponding annual recruitment, compensation, and retention plans.
- Formulate strategies to keep the company competitive and innovative in provider recruitment
- Develop internal and external key referral sources as well as establishing contractual relationships with locums and other vendor sources
- Develop and prepares reports and presentations demonstrating performance to metrics and goals
- Lead training team in developing and delivering efficient and effective telehealth training tools including elearning, written materials, mock visits, webinars, etc.
- Oversee all training initiatives for OCG’s providers focused on both new provider orientation and training, as well as on-going training for all providers on technology enhancements and clinical protocols.
- Lead a team of “Ambassadors” responsible for maximizing provider participation on American Well’s client platforms as well provider retention.
- Oversee all communications and communication vehicles used to inform and engage participating providers. This includes ‘owning’ OCG’s innovative on-line provider Community site which includes discussion boards, on-line support, training sites, etc.
- Facilitate all provider focused meetings, webinars, and gatherings.
- Review and analyze, monthly, quarterly and annually, performance of each member of the provider relations team, establishing realistic objectives and action plans
- Support Product managers in forecasting and fulfilling specialty and state specific provider staffing requirements.
- Implement enabling technologies, including CRM, to provider relations team. Monitor provider relations team compliance with the required standards for maintaining CRM data.
- Build peer support and strong internal-company relationships with other key management personnel
- Monitor competitor’s products and clinician compensation and recruiting activities
- Direct and oversee programs designed to foster positive relations between clinicians and OCG and American Well.
- Continuously work with medical leadership in promoting a high performing/high quality medical group culture among members of the clinician community
- Excellent interpersonal, public presentation, written and communication skills
- Ability to utilize effective communication or negotiation skills, employing diplomacy and sensitivity to resolve critical or escalated issues affecting customers, physicians, or senior management
- 5+ years of related experience working with hospitals, large physician groups and/or external customer service for providers.
- Experience in provider network management, provider marketing, and/or recruiting
- Comfortable and skilled in presenting to senior leadership as well as to prospects and clients
- High energy level, enthusiastic, and eager to do what is necessary to be successful
- Proven ability to influence cross-functional teams without formal authority
- Computer literacy in Microsoft Office: Windows, Excel, Word, PowerPoint
- Willing to work unpredictable hours and work against deadlines
- Previous management experience including responsibilities for hiring, training, assigning work and managing performance of staff.
- Bachelor’s degree, Masters preferred
Should you join American Well and the Online Care Group team, you can expect:
The Online Care Group is a fast growing, fast paced clinical services team who works directly with onboarding clinicians to offer flexible physician jobs that connect patients through live, video visits. Care is delivered utilizing American Well’s Online Care system, AmWell, as well as 30+ client-branded systems in which you will play a key role in supporting.
The Online Care Group currently provides multiple services to the general public, as well as multiple employer groups and health plans. Ranging from Urgent Care to Psychiatry services, Online Care Group operates in 45+ states, with the expectation of expanding to all 50 states in the future.
Online Care allows patients and consumers to connect with physicians immediately, through a new and innovative technology known as Telemedicine. Whether a patient has the flu or a general health question, they can access the professional help of our Online Care Group providers from the comfort of their home or office. The innovation uses advanced Web-based technologies and telephony to remove traditional barriers to healthcare access, including insurance coverage, geography, mobility and time constraints.
The Online Care Group is comprised of 4 key areas: Network Operations, Quality Care, Credentialing and Recruitment. We all work together in efforts to help find the best doctors to work on the platform, support their needs technology wise, and build relationships to make the provider and patient experience unique and successful.
Working at American Well
American Well is changing how care is delivered through online and mobile technology. We make online doctor visits accessible to everyone for one-off care issues like colds or infections, and chronic condition management, such as diabetes or depression. We make the hard work of healthcare look easy and that requires a mission-driven mentality. We’re a “go getter” culture that pride itself on smarts, initiative, creative thinking, and a strong work ethic.
Our corporate headquarters are located in downtown Boston at 75 State Street –in the heart of the city. In addition to the opportunity to build the future of healthcare technology and a great location, we offer:
• Three weeks of vacation time
• 401K match
• Competitive healthcare, dental and vision insurance plans
• Free gym access – on-site
• Drop-off/pick up dry cleaning service
• Prime office space with views overlooking all of Boston
• Complimentary snacks and drinks