Now, more than ever, Toast is committed to our customers. Were working to help restaurants navigate these unprecedented times with technology, resources, and community. Our focus is on building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love. And because our technology is purpose-built for restaurants, by restaurant people, restaurants can trust that well deliver on their needs for today while investing in experiences that will power their restaurant of the future.
Bready* to make a change?
Toast is scaling rapidly and with that growth comes exciting challenges in how we evolve our developer ecosystem to ensure the high efficiency of Toast engineers and external partners while also providing a platform that is reliable and sustainable. This role will be accountable, in partnership with Product Management, for advancing the state of developer effectiveness at Toast and providing a world-class experience to developers across the business.
Were building a new developer-focused team and looking for a leader to manage it. In pursuit of greater developer efficiency, this team will:
- Partner with Toast's Infrastructure and Systems Engineering Team to enable greater developer productivity.
- Partner with product teams to ensure designs that optimize developer efficiency and other infrastructure concerns such as scalability and reliability
- Build tooling and infrastructure to address our developers greatest pain points
- Create a culture of automated tooling along with the infrastructure to enable product teams to easily test their own code
- With a Product Management partner, establish our developer experience principles: How our products should feel to developers and the core metrics that we will track to measure success
About this roll* (Responsibilities)
As Director of this organization you will be responsible for the improvement of the developer metrics for Toast engineers.
- Drive delivery of business outcomes across multiple teams, including planning and execution
- Enable and mentor engineers on your team to do the best work they can and reward their performance
- Establish strong working relationships with peer infrastructure and product teams
- Influence architecture decisions in your team and more broadly across Toast to optimize developer efficiency
- Grow the organization through hiring and creating professional growth opportunities for the members of your team
Do you have the right ingredients*? (Requirements)
- You are respectful, empathetic, and humble
- Experience managing engineering teams, preferably ones focused on infrastructure, developer efficiency, or related areas
- Experience leading teams that build developer facing APIs, tools, and test automation with a focus on enabling developer efficiency
- A bias towards action, with the ability to balance between getting things done and making things perfect
- Experience scaling infrastructure as a business grows rapidly
- Deep understanding of Cloud infrastructure
- Passion for making your peers more productive and efficient
*Bread puns encouraged but not required