The Big Data Platform team is part of the larger Data Platforms Engineering organization at Wayfair. This team is responsible for all our Big Data infrastructure in the GCP, the messaging & streaming platforms and all data movement between data stores.
We are looking for smart, passionate and curious people who are excited to shape our vision of creating a scalable, supportable and distributed analytic and streaming platform. With the broad reach of the technologies we are using, you will have the opportunity to grow your network internally as well as through the open source community. You will equally grow through working with a diverse team that openly challenges the boundaries of technologies.
As a senior leader, you will be responsible for creating a culture of engineering excellence which embraces team diversity and autonomy. You will work with your team and internal customers to create and execute on a product vision that will solve data needs for Wayfairs next $20B+ growth. A successful candidate will have an established background in driving clarity in highly ambiguous technical environments, developing long-term technical vision, a proven ability to guide and coach, great communication and collaboration skills, and a motivation to achieve results in a fast-paced and ever growing environment.
What Youll Do
- Collaborate and drive a vision that enables your teams to execute on a strategy that delivers platforms capable of handling terabytes of data in real time.
- Engage with multiple teams both inside and outside the Big Data Platforms to work on the execution of the technical vision.
- Drive architecture and operations as a discipline within our group.
- Have an eye for challenges arising out of our various different technologies and address them proactively.
- Partner with Product Management to collect requirements from stakeholders and transform them into actionable parts of your strategy and roadmaps.
- Build a capable team with strong leadership through effective headcount planning, hiring, on-boarding, retention, and continuous improvement.
What Youll Need
- 10+ years of experience leading managers of software engineers and delivery of platforms.
- Ability to understand shifting requirements and articulate deliverable adjustments.
- Strong technical acumen to apply first-principles thinking to proposed solutions.
- Experience in driving cross-functional alignment and influencing without authority.
- History of building and transforming engineering teams that innovate rapidly, deliver results, and ready the business for next-levels of scale.
- Entrepreneurial spirit with a bias for action and desire to build in rapidly changing environments.
- Expertise in big data architecture and capable of unpackaging complex distributed systems.
- Demonstrated organizational and analytical skills with hypothesis-driven problem solving and turning data into actionable insights.
- Excellent communication skills with demonstrated experience navigating a large organization and generating buy-in for plans.
- Experience with high-growth environments at scale.
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair is one of the worlds largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, were reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If youre looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then youll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. Were a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair and world for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. Thats why were proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.