At ActBlue Technical Services, we build and maintain a powerful online fundraising platform for Democratic campaigns, progressive organizations, and nonprofits working to create a better future. We put power in the hands of small-dollar donors by making it easier for grassroots supporters to make their voices heard and by helping thousands of groups from presidential candidates to environmental organizations build people-powered movements.
If youve ever given online to a Democratic candidate or progressive organization, chances are youve used our software. Our team has a big impact on the future of our country, and with the 2020 elections on the horizon, were busier than ever helping small-dollar donors make an impact and take on Trumps administration.
We are seeking a DevOps Engineer who is passionate about automation and building great tools in a security conscious environment. We offer autonomy, responsibility, and amazing in-office and remote colleagues geeking out about politics and tech all day, plus generous benefits.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING:
- Managing, monitoring, extending our mission critical web application infrastructure in AWS and other cloud providers in an auto scaling, self-healing environment. Handling high volume is our priority.
- Being part of an on-call rotation. When alarms ring we respond immediately and effectively.
- Learning from alerts. After an event, we learn from it, continuously improving our infrastructure, monitoring, or applications to keep the same issue from ringing alarms again.
- Working with application developers and product customers to deploy and monitor new services repeatably, securely, at scale in cloud services.
- Building visualizations of our data to understand the performance of our systems and recommend improvements to remove bottlenecks and points of failure.
- Discovering, testing, and deploying upgrades to or replacement of components of our infrastructure, from simple OS packages, to database version upgrades, to cloud services, to wholesale architecture changes.
- Anticipating and proactively addressing security concerns from both process and technology standpoints.
WHAT YOU'LL BE WORKING WITH:
- Our stack: Kubernetes, Docker, Ruby on Rails, PostgreSQL, Node.js, Redis
- Hosting: AWS and Rackspace clouds.
- Configuration Management in Terraform
- Monitoring: DataDog, Statsd
WHAT YOU'LL BRING:
- Very experienced with Linux system administration.
- Substantial experience GIT
- Experience in a programming language like Ruby, Python, or Golang.
- Experience developing and monitoring mission critical web applications.
- Knowledge of and a passion for repeatable configuration management using tools such as Chef, Puppet, Ansible, or Rundeck.
- Desired: experience with Kubernetes (were on EKS).
- Bonus: experience configuring and monitoring CDNs (we use Fastly).
- Bonus: experience tuning and administering PostgreSQL databases (RDS and self-hosted).
OUR ENGINEERING VALUES:
- We believe that ideas are more important than technologies.
- We understand that the tools we build have real-world consequences for millions of people and take that responsibility seriously.
- Security is at the center of everything we do. We are always on the lookout for ways to further harden our platform.
- We know that code isnt just a set of instructions for machines, but communication with other humans; style, elegance, and respect are important.
- We believe that an ability to balance paying off technical debt and rapidly completing a project contributes to the health of the codebase, engineering team, and organization.
- We believe that being correct isnt enough; respect for your colleagues and users is fundamental.
You can work in our Somerville, MA HQ; our satellite office in Portland, OR; or remotely from anywhere in the US (CA, MD, NY, RI, TX, UT, and WI are preferred).
Were a growing team passionate about changing our country. Each and every one of us is fully committed to our mission, and we are looking for new team members who match our passion and are ready to dive in! If you're interested, send your resume to [email protected]!
We offer a competitive salary and a generous compensation package, which includes commuter benefits; fully paid and trans-inclusive health, dental, and vision insurance; an employer-sponsored 401k contribution plan; a generous professional development stipend; three months paid parental leave for all genders, adoptions included; and a flexible time off policy.
Women, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, and members of other minority or marginalized groups are strongly encouraged to apply. ActBlue is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against candidates on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status.
ActBlue cannot at this time sponsor work visas.
More Jobs From