Office Tour Photos
About Your team
As a vital member of the content team, the Development Editor collaborates with our talenttrainers, writers, and speakersto craft learning content that meets our standards. The Development Editor manages the development of all content formats with a focus on addressing the learning and development needs of our audience. Formats for content are limitless but currently include books, videos, online training courses, reports, and audio content. The Development Editor works with the editorial and production teams to shape content that delivers on our learning promise.
About the Job
This position is responsible for developing and editing content in all formats including text, video, and audio with talent to ensure we deliver on our learning promise using OReillys learning model as a guide. Responsibilities include managing peer review, editing text including books, collaborating on and editing articles, blog posts, online training playbooks, video playbooks, and managing schedules. The editor must have the necessary skills to be able to determine when content is ready for peer review, production, and release. Properly executed, this position contributes significant revenue to the organization while maintaining OReilly standards. This position is remote or located in Sebastopol, CA or Boston, MA.
- Work closely with various internal departments; editorial, product, and production staff; and externally, with talent.
- Demonstrate effective project management of multiple titles/projects and ensure that all projects release on time and within budget.
- Identify problem areas in content and recommend solutions.
- Serve as in-house advocate for talents projects.
- Collaborate with editorial team members to create a cohesive learning experience.
- Ensure program requirements are aligned with approved content plan.
- Work with OReilly product and marketing teams to review and revise all copy and related marketing materials.
- Select and manage technical, peer, and test customer reviews.
- Create, manage, and adhere to production schedules.
- Participate in weekly content meetings, providing all necessary assessments of production resources and issues associated with active titles; report on status of active titles.
- Support sales and marketing with detailed content information during the marketing and sales process.
You are a continuous learner, self-starter and problem solver with strong project management and relationship management skills. Familiarity or willingness to learn the subject matter domains for which you develop content. Your skills as someone who can help others organize thoughts and deliver instruction will complement the subject matter experts who develop content with us.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Advanced knowledge of content development processes and functions editorial, production, design, and copyediting, and how they interface
- Very strong editorial and project management skills
- Very strong written, presentation, and verbal communication skills
- Ability to unravel particularly thorny content problems
- Ability to discern what makes a good learning experience, both in terms of audience and market requirements and the quality of a proposal
- Ability to work on tight deadlines
- Ability to write clearly and accurately on technical subject matter
- Ability to effectively communicate with customers, vendors, multimedia developers, project managers, marketing managers, and sales reps
- Ability to maintain high professional standards in interacting with othersinside and outside of the companyat all times
- A strong interest in building learning content and training materials.
- 4-year college degree in education, English, instructional design, communications, publishing, computer science, or other relevant field, or a combination of relevant education and experience
More Jobs From