We're one of the fastest-growing homeownership companies in America. Why? Because we're making homeownership simpler, faster - and most importantly, more accessible for all Americans.
By combining smarter technology with a desire to not just change one piece of the journey but the entire makeup of what it's like to buy and own a home in this country, we're building things that don't exist yet.
Better.com by the numbers:
- We fund $600 million in home loans per month
- Nearly $5 billion in loans funded since our inception in 2016
- 2 years running, we're one of Crain's "Best Places to work"
- We're #11 on Fortune's Best Places to Work in NYC
- And #964 on Inc.'s 2019 "5000 Fastest-Growing Companies"
- We've secured over $254 million from our investors to date
- ...and counting
We continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We've recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank. Plus, our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, IA Ventures, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, and others have all invested in our vision of redefining the entire home buying journey.
Design plays a massive role in achieving this. Mortgages are complicated and quite frankly, stale. As designers, our job is to take all this complexity, distill it down to its essence, and repackage it into something simple, intuitive, and enjoyable.
That's why we don't distinguish between UX, Visual, or Product Designers. Our designers are all of them - part business strategist, part user researcher, and 100% committed to creating an exceptional user experience in a space that sorely needs it.
Responsibilities will include:
- Lead the design and implementation process across multiple product areas, as well as manage projects
- Ensure the team sets a high quality bar for the work they ship with minimal effects on velocity
- Recruit, hire, onboard, and mentor a team of designers and help build a strong design culture that ensures the team works and grows openly and collaboratively
- Build and hold a high standard for designers at Better
- Ensure designers are shipping high quality work efficiently and effectively - no matter what
- Build relationships with cross functional partners and help accelerate efficiency by regularly iterating on and improving processes and workflows
- Effectively speak to process, design goals, and team vision with cross functional partners, executives, and stakeholders
- Partner with Product to help create roadmaps, define OKRs, and understand key metrics to measure product success
- Collaborate closely with Engineering and Product to ensure projects are defined accurately and properly scoped
- Coach and mentor designers on your team, helping the achieve maximum impact with minimum effort
- Work iteratively from concept to detailed designs powered by research and data
- Create a strong design process with all partners and designers
- 6 years of experience in digital product design and/or service design
- 2+ years of people leadership experience, leading teams of UI/UX, researchers, and product designers
- Experience working with engineers and product managers to improve strategy, vision, and execution and push the best work forward
- Experience balancing creative and analytical design goals, and making product and design tradeoffs
- Ability to lead and influence without being the direct manager of all team members
- Strong understanding of product-building areas including engineering, design, analytics, and user research/insights
- Ability to thrive and effectively communicate in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment
- Ability to come up with new creative ideas from a blank canvas while also delivering detailed design approaches
- Ability to solve complex UX and product strategy problems to deliver the best possible visual design solutions
- Experience working in a highly iterative, collaborative environment where people share work daily
- Experience with building and promoting complex design systems
- Impeccable taste and understanding of high quality design
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Familiarity with prototyping tools and bringing work to life
- Direct and to the point
Things we value:
- Curiosity. Why? How? Repeat.
- Nerdiness. Financial news and trends are fascinating. Seriously.
- Relentlessness. No one here gives up. We try. We fail. We try again.
- Passion. If you don't get excited about homeownership, mortgages, and real estate, it simply won't work.
- Smarts: book and street. We have to use all the tools at our disposal to build Better.
- Empathy and Compassion. You understand that people's biggest dreams are in your hands.
- Communication. Can you ask for help or put your hand up when you don't understand?
- Building. Doing. Making. Yes, we have to do a lot of thinking and talking to figure this stuff out, but you can't wait to leave the conversation and build it.
More Jobs From