Full Job Description
Software Engineer, Autonomy
Sea Machines is a fast-growing startup specializing in autonomous technology for marine vessels. We are passionate about applying practical A.I. to the massive global ocean transportation market. Our products provide ships and workboats the intelligence to work remotely and give maritime operators the tools to effectively communicate with them. Based in Boston and operating globally, the company is crewed by an experienced team of mariners, engineers, coders, and autonomy scientists.
Sea Machines is venture-funded and we’ve introduced our first product, the Sea Machines 300. We are located in Boston, with quick access to the T and Commuter Rail.
We are seeking an Autonomy Software Engineer to join existing software team working on advanced autonomy software for our marine product. The candidate will work closely with the user interface team, system team, artificial intelligence team, and customer support team. This position is in Boston, MA.
This position reports to Sr. Director of Software Engineering.
Responsibilities and Duties
· Develop, test and integrate advanced software for marine vessel autonomy.
· Test, debug, and maintain reliable, safe, and production quality code.
· Maintain software documentation and assist in the development of user documentation.
· Participate in field testing & trials.
· Work closely with customer support team and resolve customer issues.
· Participate in daily scrum meetings.
· Work cross-functionally with technical teams developing autonomy, communications, perception, system interfaces and hardware to execute functional testing, system integration verification and performance validation on new products in automated simulation and in vessel trials.
Qualifications and Skills
· BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Robotics, or other related engineering field.
· 3+ years of experience in C++ and Python software development
· Familiarity with Shell Scripts in UNIX /Linux environment
· Experienced in full software life cycle development.
· Experience in developing RESTful APIs.
· Knowledge of TCP/IP networking is a plus.
· Prior experience developing software for autonomy, robotics or other complex integrated dynamic hardware applications.
· Experience with ROS, MOOS or equivalent robotics architecture is a plus.
· Experience with software version control.
· Understanding of Agile SW Development Methodology.
· Understanding of computer architecture.
· Experience collaborating with other functional teams to seamlessly integrate software and hardware systems.
· Good communications skills (verbal and written), ability to communicate complex ideas clearly and convincingly.
· Comfortable with a fast-paced development schedule
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- Monday to Friday
- C++ on Linux: 3 years (Required)
- REST APIs: 3 years (Preferred)
- Python: 3 years (Required)
- One location