Office Tour Photos
The Vice President of Demand Generation is responsible for designing and executing multi-touch awareness and demand creation programs for both the Webroot and Carbonite businesses within Carbonite, Inc. The role spans both consumer and B2B markets across both direct and indirect/channel routes to market, with an emphasis on small and midsize businesses. It includes management of a marketing strategy and campaigns team; a field marketing and Lead Development Rep (LDR) team in the USA, EMEA, APAC; and a Digital Demand Generation team, spanning web infrastructure and strategy, email execution and SEM/SEO/paid digital. Specific target markets include managed service providers (MSPs) who need the most advanced—yet easy to use—data protection solutions, small to midsize businesses, technology companies integrating threat intelligence into their offerings, and consumers.
This position is to be based at Carbonite's offices in either Boston MA or Broomfield CO.
Specific responsibilities include allocating budget, determining program strategy and plans based on business objectives, selecting target audiences, designing messaging and supporting offers or enablement materials, establishing the tactical program mix, managing web infrastructure and web commerce to support business results, optimizing SEO/SEM/paid digital programs, and setting individual program goals and measurement criteria. Additional responsibilities include managing external agencies and internal resources, and building/managing shared demand creation processes with operations and inside/field/channel sales. Demonstrated ability to leverage the power of modern awareness and demand technologies that scale is essential.
This role works in partnership with multiple disciplines to drive awareness and demand, including sales, communications, customer success, product, product marketing, and brand/marcom.
Specific Objectives and Responsibilities:
- Develop and execute measurable awareness and demand creation programs that drive consideration, bookings and revenue through online, and direct and indirect/channel sales teams
- Design best-in-class partner/channel enablement programs; optimize existing partner programs to maximize investment and profitability
- Work with product/solution marketing to establish messaging and a common campaign framework for the global marketing community to leverage
- Interlock with regional field/channel sales leadership to ensure agreement on priorities, adjusting as required by changing market conditions and emerging opportunities
- Manage the Digital Demand Generation team to optimize web information architecture and infrastructure to support awareness and demand programs
- Establish a content marketing practice to ensure the right content is developed for the right audiences to support the right business outcomes, and measure its effectiveness in the field
- Implement testing methodologies to enhance the awareness and demand creation processes, including response and conversion rates and multivariate testing
- Define the end-to-end lead management process in conjunction with sales operations and marketing operations, including lead capture, nurturing, and service-level agreements (lead definitions, lead acceptance/rejection reasons and disqualification reasons that feed into appropriate nurture streams when applicable)
- Manage and optimize field marketing agencies and programs for retail consumer, including training for in-store visits
- Forecast, measure, analyze and report on the impact of awareness and demand creation activities on sales pipeline, bookings, revenue and sales cycle length
- Evaluate, select and manage outside vendors or inside resources that contribute to awareness and demand creation programs including direct marketing agencies, search engine optimization (SEO) experts, designers, copywriters, email providers and list brokers
- Manage and adhere to a budget
Key Challenges to Overcome:
This role is a unique and challenging opportunity with significant opportunity for impact on the business and professional growth. The successful candidate will be able to understand and integrate two distinct businesses with multiple Go-To-Market engines into a high-performance and seamless Demand Generation center. The initial focus of the role will be to understand and drive the existing Webroot Demand Generation team as well as work closely with other roles to lay the foundation for ongoing strategic integration of Demand Generation capabilities across both Webroot and Carbonite.
Carbonite, Inc. has grown through a combination of organic growth and M&A activity. The acquisition of Webroot in early 2019 presented a unique opportunity to build a larger, integrated Demand Generation engine that will be able to support the long-term strategic direction of the company. This engine must be built without losing sight of the need to continue to delivery quarterly revenue targets across multiple audiences and product lines.
The marketing teams are a key contributor to the success of the company and are driven by attention to detail, attention to data, and attention to outcomes. The right leader in this role will have superstars working for them in multiple locations across the US and globally, driving millions of customer contacts every year and hundreds of millions of dollars in new and renewal business. Carbonite and Webroot already have best-in-class teams in lifecycle marketing, channel marketing, and digital campaigns – what can you do to make these marketing leaders even stronger and their contributions to the business even bigger?
The right leader for this role will work closely with the SVP of Marketing, SVP of Sales, and other members of Senior Staff to shape winning strategies. It is expected that you will be able to represent the entire marketing organization as needed in internal executive meetings and external events. You will be part of a marketing leadership team helping to grow the company to one billion in revenue and beyond. The company moves fast, rewards the bold, and needs someone with insight, vision, experience, and true leadership qualities.
What will make you successful at Carbonite:
- A track record of good judgment and decision-making in positions with significant responsibility
- Highly autonomous and able to independently identify high value projects and drive them to completion
- Demonstrated leadership capability in cross-functional team environments
- High degree of comfort with complex technical environments
- Having and being able to articulate/defend an informed opinion on important topics
Skills & Experience:
- 10 or more years of a combination of consumer and B2B awareness and demand creation experience. Deep experience in demand generation in the small to midsize business and managed service provider markets preferred. Experience with a retail consumer technology product a plus.
- Experience building and managing a channel marketing and partner enablement practice
- Experience creating and implementing proven successful awareness, seeding, demand creation, lead nurturing and pipeline acceleration programs
- Five or more years of a combination of consumer and B2B digital/inbound marketing including Web and content marketing, ability to leverage social media to seed demand, search engine optimization/search engine marketing (SEO/SEM), association marketing and content syndication
- Marketing automation, Web content management, Web analytics and business intelligence (reporting and analysis tools)
- Building and managing a shared pipeline and demand waterfall with sales
- Proven record of supporting sales to meet or exceed pipeline and revenue targets
- Excellent communicator with proven ability to clearly convey complex ideas and data in written, presentation and spoken formats to a variety of audiences
- Demonstrated strong listening, information gathering and empathy skills for uncovering and defining deliverables, needs and outcomes
- Team player with cross-functional project leadership skills
- Demonstrated skills in positioning and differentiating products and services across different markets and go-to-market models
- Highly motivated individual who thrives in a fast-paced team environment and is readily adaptable to changing market and organizational requirements
- History of strong budget management
- BA/BS degree; MBA in marketing or related business degree strongly preferred
Carbonite was launched with a clear goal: Provide easy-to-use, secure and affordable online backup to the consumer market. Today we are a leading provider of data protection, with a comprehensive portfolio of solutions purpose-built for consumers, small and midsized businesses with a global network of partners including VARs, MSPs and OEMs.
Together with Webroot—acquired by Carbonite in 2019—we provide end-to-end data resilience. Our company vision is to safeguard people and businesses from the cost and consequences of data loss and cyber threats. We deliver on that vision with powerful antivirus protection plus easy-to-use backup and recovery services.
Our business requires top talent. We foster a thriving, dynamic environment rich with inventive minds and entrepreneurial spirit. From engineering to sales and marketing, operations and customer support, our 1600 employees are empowered and encouraged to build their careers at Carbonite.
We pride ourselves on hiring standout candidates who shine in a workplace that encourages collaboration and teamwork. Carbonite is growing fast, and we’re currently looking for talented candidates around the globe. Are you ready to grow with us?
More Jobs From