New York, San Francisco
The Vice President - Business Development will be responsible for managing the process for identifying, analyzing, recommending, and closing strategic revenue and non-revenue generating partnerships and alliances. The successful candidate will be a highly motivated professional with a proven track record of global business development, who is able to think strategically, is creative, and is able to identify and evaluate strategic opportunities, establish and execute partnerships and alliances, and manage and track performance. In collaboration with our Growth (sales), Community (delivery) and Operations teams in the United States and around the world, the Vice President - Business Development will also work closely with C-Suite and senior leadership executives to maximize the full breadth of potential partner opportunities.
This person will report to the EVP Growth and be part of a six-person team based in San Francisco and Boulder.
- 8+ years of strategy, partnership or business development experience in fast-paced environments. Previous management consulting experience (McKinsey, BCG, or the equivalent) is a plus.
- Transactional mindset; demonstrated experience structuring, negotiating and implementing strategic partnerships in the entrepreneurial and technology ecosystem.
- Strategic thinker; ability to identify and frame opportunities, execute financial analyses, develop business cases and recommendations, and drive deal processes with C-suite executives.
- People leader; 5+ years experience hiring new employees, managing direct reports, and executing as a team.
- Relationship-oriented; passion and commitment for partner alignment & entrepreneur success.
- Cross-functional executive; demonstrated leader with strong capabilities and a passion for working effectively across a matrixed organization.
- Familiar with both the corporate and startup world with the ability to act as a “translator” between the two. Startup DNA at some point in your career is a plus.
- Wired; network of Fortune 2000 companies at a decision-maker level. European or Asian corporate networks a plus.
- Good sense of humor, ability to adapt to change, no job too small attitude – we're lean so we all have to roll up our sleeves!
- Good fit with the Techstars culture: people-oriented, adaptable, supportive, creative.=
- Not afraid of the grey zone; able to thrive in a distributed/independent environment with a minimal amount of direction.
- Growth mindset; be willing to learn and comfortable tackling new problems.
- Incredibly self-aware, self-driven, detail-oriented and organized.
- Able to make high-quality, high-velocity decisions supported by data.
- Excellent presentation, written/verbal communication, and follow-up skills.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university; MBA or equivalent is a strong plus.
What You Will Do:
- Be in service to both Techstars as a company and our founders and partners.
- Identify strategic growth opportunities, create a deal roadmap and structure/negotiate/execute a portfolio of channel partner relationships, product extension partnerships, startup ecosystem deals and other key transactions that leverage and enhance Techstars’ startup company portfolio, global events and worldwide mentor network.
- Develop mutually-beneficial and trusting relationships with select Fortune 2000 companies identified as strategic to Techstars, working with leaders across product, business development, engineering and corporate development.
- Partner with Techstars’ Growth, Product and Strategy teams to develop lead and revenue generation programs and create scalable deal pipelines to support their businesses.
- If required, build 1-3-5 year financial models to build the business case for company-first partnerships and revenue opportunities, with attention to margin and operations impacts.
- Help administer all BD-related functions in Salesforce, including managing the overall partner/deal pipeline, maintaining account profiles and updating success metrics.
- Work cross-functionally with Techstars’ Legal, Finance, Growth, Product, and Operations teams to execute and manage key business development partnerships.
- Develop a deep understanding of Techstars’ product set, industry ecosystem and competitive positioning.
- Represent Techstars in external meetings with executives, both internally and externally.
- Help lead a lean, distributed team that has a high degree of entrepreneurial spirit, initiative and creativity.
Techstars is the worldwide network that helps entrepreneurs succeed. Techstars founders and their teams connect with other entrepreneurs, experts, mentors, alumni, investors, community leaders, and corporate partners who will help their companies grow. Techstars operates three divisions: Techstars Startup Programs, Techstars Mentorship-Driven Accelerator Programs and Techstars Corporate Innovation Partnerships. Techstars Mentorship-Driven Accelerator Programs help founders do more faster and Techstars Startup Programs inspire, educate and connect entrepreneurs. Techstars Corporate Innovation Partnerships helps brands supercharge growth by accelerating innovation and cultural transformation. Techstars’ accelerator portfolio includes more than 1,700 companies with a market cap of $20.6 billion. www.techstars.com
Techstars is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, national origin, religion, physical or mental handicaps or disabilities, marital status, Veteran status, sexual orientation, nor any other basis prohibited by law.
More Jobs From