Venture Manager, Innovation - Solaria Labs
Advance your career at Liberty Mutual - A Fortune 100 Company!
The insurance industry is being transformed: self-driving cars, the Internet of Things, the Sharing Economy, and an ever-changing set of start-up competitors are all major contributors to the disruption of current business models. In response, Liberty Mutual has established Solaria Labs, an innovation center dedicated to testing new ideas, turning those ideas into products, and launching new companies. Liberty Mutual’s innovation efforts are gathering quite the buzz in Boston, having been named one of BostInno’s 50 on Fire and having been featured in the Boston Globe and TechCrunch. We are looking for innovators who are passionate about making an impact, are entrepreneurial, and are willing to test and learn. Does building new businesses and a new future for a Fortune 100 company like Liberty Mutual excite you? If so, join our team!
As a Venture Manager in Solaria Labs, you will lead cross-disciplinary teams to identify opportunities, set the strategic direction, and build & launch new business ventures.
• Explore: Lead exploration of new opportunities with Solaria’s Trends & Insights team, utilizing various methodologies to identify promising concepts (e.g. design thinking, outcome driven innovation)
• Prioritize: Prioritize concepts based on intersection of value to customers, value to Liberty, and Liberty’s strategic goals. Pitch vision and plans to the Innovation leadership and Liberty leadership teams
• Test & Launch: Lead cross-functional teams of developers, designers, and data scientists to test and launch new business ventures. Manage all aspects of the startup development cycle with autonomy:
o Articulate a viable business model, key hypotheses to prove and thorough testing plan
o Coordinate and lead all business aspects required to execute the testing plan (e.g. technical development, go-to-market strategy, marketing, content & branding, etc.)
o Lead agile teams involved in the venture launch process (e.g. engineers, designers, marketers, data scientist, etc.)
o Continuously seek and integrate customer feedback and pivot ventures as necessary
• Scale: Scaling successful pilots within our core brand or launching them as new start-ups businesses outside of our core insurance operation
This role might be for you if you have:
• Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 6 years of experience in business, engineering, technology and/or entrepreneurship / intrapreneurship. Master`s degree preferred
• Strong leadership skills. Experience leading multi-disciplinary teams and rallying team behind a common vision
• Demonstrated experience managing a growing digital product, and/or launching a digital product from scratch and ownership of the product's success
• Strong problem solving skills with ability to break down undefined and complex problems into testable components
• Strong experimental and creative mindset to drive innovation amidst uncertainty
• Ability to make difficult and quick decisions daily
• Great communication skills. Able to depict complex ideas and issues to varied audiences; educate senior leaders on business vision and plan and the impact of change
• Awareness of Agile development methodologies