Technical Lead - Operations Research
Who We Are (Operations Research)
Wayfairs Operations Research team is a mixed disciplinary team of Operations Research scientists and Software Engineers that are developing technological solutions for some of Wayfairs most complex optimization problems with an immediate impact on our operations. Our team comes up with creative strategies to develop and execute optimization-based solutions to keep Wayfair efficient as we scale. Many of our projects are in their infancy and do not have pre-existing solutions that overly constrain our approach or design decisions.
Our teams core areas of focus include:
- Inventory management
- Fulfillment center optimization
- Order routing and fulfillment
- Last mile routing
- Network optimization
What You Will Be Responsible For
The Operations Research team is looking for a Technical Lead to join our team. As a Technical Lead you will be working on a variety of things including:
- Working cross-functionally with business stakeholders, as well as coordinate with other engineering and data science team
- Overseeing the development of production level analytics software powering all Supply Chain, Planning and Logistics decisions at Wayfair on a global scale.
- Leading and mentoring a team of operations research scientists on a variety of projects, from initial conception to final deployment.
- Overseeing the enhancement and maintenance of existing solutions under your existing work stream.
- Thinking strategically to identify new areas for future improvements within Wayfairs operations.
What Youll Need:
- You have a Ph.D. or MS in Operations Research, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Industrial Engineering, Computer Science or related field.
- 4+ years professional experience post advanced degree in the field of Operations Research or a similar role
- Strong knowledge and experience applying optimization methods including linear and mixed-integer programming.
- Experience leveraging optimization solvers like CPLEX, Gurobi, Groovy.
- The ability to define and structure an approach to loosely-defined problems.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Professional experience tackling large-scale problems in areas like network design, transportation, inventory management, warehouse operations and call center scheduling.
- Experience developing and leading a team of research scientists or analysts
- Professional experience using Python, C++, Java, or similar.
- Experience developing software systems