System Development Engineer
Interested in Amazon Echo? We’re building the speech and language solutions behind Amazon Echo and other Amazon products and services. Come join us!
The Applied Modeling and Data Science team is seeking a talented, self-directed System Development Engineer to join a team owning a wide array of highly impactful speech and language applications in every language, providing thousands of customers the ability to interact with Alexa in the most natural way possible by building and enhancing NLU models.
· Responsible for the deployment and maintenance of NLU models
· Responsible for on-call duties during peak and non-peak hours, deploying fixes, and handling high-sev issues with Research Scientists
· Will work with other team members (Data Scientists, Research Scientists, SDEs, BIEs, Product and Program Managers) to investigate design approaches, prototype new technology and evaluate technical feasibility
· Work in an Agile/Scrum environment to deliver high quality software against tight schedules.
· Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field
· 3+ years of hands on experience in software development, including design, implementation, debugging, and support, building scalable system software and/or Services
· Ability to program to solve problems and automate repetitive tasks in a common scripting or programming language such as Python, Perl, Java, or Ruby with. a solid understanding of the UNIX/Linux operating systems
· Experience troubleshooting, problem solve and identify the root cause(s) .
· Systems Engineering/SRE experience in a large, distributed environment.
· Track record of building and delivering mission critical, 24x7 production software systems.
· Expertise in prototyping and scripting languages (R, Perl or Python) with applications of efficient large-scale data analysis in a complicated system.
· Experience with statistical modelling / machine learning with a willingness to be an early adopter of emerging ML and big data applications.
· Fundamental Computer Science knowledge, including experience in applying common algorithms, data structures and design patterns.
· Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
· Shows interest in improving self-service tools and effectiveness.
· Detail-oriented with a high degree of organization with excellent verbal, and written communication skills.
· Comfortable with ambiguity, prioritizing needs, and delivering measurable results in a dynamic environment working across multiple teams and organization
· Demonstrated skill and passion for operational excellence.
Amazon.com is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation