Infrastructure Staff Engineer
Boston, MA, United States
Wayfair is a leader in the e-commerce space for all things home. We live and breathe modern technologies. We are a move fast break things, re-think old standards team with a startup feel and continuous deployment.
Were looking for smart, logical thinkers who produce and advocate for performant, scalable designs. We are as much concerned about thought leadership, community involvement, and the ever-changing landscape as we are with senior technical skills!
As a Staff Engineer youll have a multitude of opportunities to flex your strengths as well as learn new things while directly assisting our internal customers. We contribute to (and create) bleeding edge open source projects and continuously push the envelope to explore the future of ecommerce and distributed infrastructure systems. The team focuses on moving workloads into the cloud, and designing and deploying the framework that our public cloud platforms are built upon.
What Youll Do
- 7-10 years hands on industry experience
- Write clean, high-performance, and well tested, infrastructure code with a focus on reusability. (Golang / Puppet / Python / Terraform / Packer)
- Create and maintain detailed documentation
- Establish, maintain, and adhere to Wayfair technical standards, policies, and procedures
- Leverage software development skills to enable self-service deployment of distributed systems
- Recommend and implement infrastructure best practices in alignment with standard SRE principles and provide guidance on system performance and throughput expectations.
- Path finding missions; taking existing platforms at Wayfair and helping move them to the cloud
- Designing, implementing, and maintaining the Wayfair public cloud PaaS on Google Cloud
- Researching and finding the right tools for the job, and if they don't exist creating them
- Supporting teams who are transitioning to a multi-cloud world - Wayfair Operates on a true hybrid cloud model which includes, on prem (VMWare & K8s), GKE, and GCE.
What You Have
- Experience with developing, building, securing and operating sophisticated and highly automated Cloud infrastructure (GCP or AWS) a must.
- Prior success in automating and maintaining an efficient large scale real-world production environment.
- Familiar with deployment patterns/strategy (blue/green, canary, rolling, draining)
- Development experience with continuous integration (CI/CD) and automation tools such as GIT, Jenkins, Buildkite, Packer, Terraform, Helm, etc
- The ability to design, author, and release code in languages like Go, Python, Rust or C
- Experience managing full application stack with high availability requirements
- Experience working with web technologies such at large scales
- Able to engage in high-level client-side architecture discussions
- Experience with performance tuning
- Advanced Operating System Skills with knowledge of Linux internals
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Proven ability to collaborate and work well within a team
What wed love to see (but isnt required)
- An active GitHub account
- Attend Devops/SRE meetups
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair is one of the worlds largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, were reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If youre looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then youll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. Were a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair and world for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. Thats why were proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.