Brightcove is a team of smart, passionate people who are revolutionizing the way organizations deliver video. Were hyped up about storytelling, and about helping people connect, share experiences, and view the world. Bottom line: video is the worlds most compelling, exciting medium, and Brightcove exists to demonstrate that video means business.
As the industry leader in this space, we empower our customers to deliver top-notch video experiences to audiences on every screen in bold and innovative ways. When video is done right, it can have a powerful and lasting effect. Hearts open. Minds change. Creativity thrives. Since 2004, Brightcove has been supporting customers that are some of the largest media companies, enterprises, events, and non-profit organizations in the world. There are over 600 Brightcovers globally, each of us representing our unique talents and passions and we have built a culture that values individual empowerment, excellence and collaboration. This culture enables us to develop technologies once thought impossible, provide customer support without parallel or excuses, and leverage the expertise and resources of a global infrastructure. We take our video seriously, and we take great pride in doing it as one team.
Brightcove manages and distributes over a hundred million videos and adds hundreds of thousands to that catalog every day. Thats no surprise given the explosive growth of online video and video consumption in general. To sustain such growth Brightcove is investing in improvements in our media delivery platform, aiming to make it even more efficient, scalable, and reliable. In this context, were looking for an experienced engineer/architect to join our Live team.
The Live team is responsible for development and operation of a highly-scalable global cloud-based live streaming platform. The team is globally-distributed and consists of engineers with diverse skill sets covering video and audio processing broadcast technology, cloud-based workflows and modern microservice design and deployment.
- Maintain and build new features on top of our streaming ingestion, transcoding and distribution services
- Lead the design of future versions of our streaming architecture
- Diagnose and resolve issues between customer encoders and our pipeline
- Attend and participate in relevant industrial and video developer community events
- Help define best practices and standards within the team and wider engineering organization and mentor other developers
- 5+ years of experience, with at least 3 in video streaming over HTTP
- Experience with at least one major cloud platform (AWS, GCP, Azure)
- Experience working with CDNs and edge platforms (Akamai, Fastly, CloudFront, etc.)
- Understanding of media processing workflows: ingest, mux / demux, transcoding, format conversions etc.
- Knowledge of HTTP streaming formats (HLS, DASH, Smooth)
- Knowledge of modern DRM systems (FairPlay, Widevine modular, PlayReady, etc.)
- Knowledge of modern video and audio codecs (H.264, HEVC, AAC-family, etc.)
- Knowledge of file formats and transport streams (TS, ISOBMFF, CMAF, etc)
- Knowledge of ingest protocols (RTP, SMPTE 2022, SRT, RIST, RTMP, etc.)
- Experience working with live media transcoding frameworks and SDKs (ffmpeg, gstreamer, MainConcept SDKs, Wowza streaming engine, etc.)
- Experience leading the design and implementation of services
- Knowledge of modern programming languages: Java/Python/Go/NodeJS/C/C++
These are the qualifications and experience we are targeting but we also are excited to have an opportunity to teach you technologies and skills you've never used before. All we ask for is creativity and tenacity in solving the problems that we are tackling together.
Working At Brightcove
As the undisputed global leader in powering premium video for our customers, Brightcove recruits and retains highly qualified and motivated individuals, creating an environment where people can innovate and achieve their best, and we reward them for their performance by giving them the opportunity to share in the companys success. We offer competitive compensation, stock options, 401k matching, and tuition reimbursement, as well as unlimited PTO - and we expect you to use it!
We are currently all working remotely due to Covid-19 and are open to this role being fully remote. While you wont get to experience the in-office culture, you will feel it remotely and be able to participate actively. We have plenty of opportunities to meet your colleagues around the globe and we also celebrate a variety of personal interests with organized groups and clubs including an Employee Action Committee, Women of Brightcove, Pride of Brightcove, Parents of Brightcove and more to come!
If you've gotten all the way to the bottom of this description, thank you for your interest in Brightcove! If this role sounds like something that is exciting to you please don't hesitate to apply, even if you don't meet all of our qualifications. We recognize that no candidate is perfect and Brightcove would love to have the chance to get to know you.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
Please note that while this job description is an accurate description of the role, it is also subject to change during the course of this search.
Send us your resume if you are interested and want to learn more!