Staff Software Engineers are the technology leaders of our highest impact projects. Your high energy is contagious, you actively collaborate with others across the engineering organization, and you seek to learn as much as you like to teach. You personify the notion of constant improvement as you work with your team and the larger engineering group to build software that delivers on our mission. You use your extraordinary technical competence to ensure a high bar for excellence while you mentor other engineers on their own path towards craftsmanship. You are most likely T-shaped, with broad knowledge across many technologies plus strong skills in a specific area. Staff Software Engineers embrace the opportunity to represent HMH in industry groups and open-source communities.
- Be the engineering leader for a development team of 5-10 engineers while influencing the technical direction of the overall engineering organization.
- Decompose business objectives into valuable, incrementally releasable user features accurately estimating the effort to complete each.
- Contribute code to feature development efforts demonstrating to others efficient design, delivery and testing patterns and techniques.
- Strive for high quality outcomes, continuously look for ways to improve team productivity and product reliability, performance, and security.
- Develop the talents and abilities of peers and colleagues. Create a memorable legacy as you progress toward your personal and professional objectives.
- Foster your personal and professional development continually seeking assignments that challenge you.
Skills & Experience
Successful Candidates must demonstrate an appropriate combination of:
- Minimum 6 years of experience as a software engineer.
- 3-plus years of experience as a Staff or lead software engineer.
- High School Diploma or GED Required
- A portfolio of thought leadership and individual technical accomplishments.
- Full understanding of Agile software development methodologies and practices.
- Strong communication skills — both verbal and written.
Expertise working with technologies and concepts such:
- Behavior-driven or test-driven development
- User Interface frameworks such as Angular and React
- Other application frameworks such as Redux
- Unit-testing frameworks such as Jest and end-to-end testing frameworks such as TestCafe
- Functional programming concepts and techniques such as closures, lambdas and currying
- Object-oriented programing in ES6
- Event-driven programming models including ES6 Promises
- Strongly typed dynamic languages such as TypeScript
- Development tools such as GitHub, Jira, Jenkins and Yarn
- Cloud technologies such as AWS and Azure
- Might be in a stationary position for a considerable time (sitting and/or standing).
- The person in this position needs to move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer.
- Must be able to collaborate with colleagues via face to face, conference calls, and online meetings.
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (NASDAQ:HMHC) is a global learning company dedicated to changing people’s lives by fostering passionate, curious learners. As a leading provider of pre-K–12 education content, services, and cutting-edge technology solutions across a variety of media, HMH enables learning in a changing landscape. HMH is uniquely positioned to create engaging and effective educational content and experiences from early childhood to beyond the classroom. HMH serves more than 50 million students in over 150 countries worldwide, while its award-winning children's books, novels, non-fiction, and reference titles are enjoyed by readers throughout the world.
For more information, visit http://careers.hmhco.com
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt is an equal employment opportunity employer and participates in E-Verify. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of gender, race/ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, or other protected group status.
More Jobs From