Staff Engineer - Notifications Infrastructure
The Notifications Systems team powers proactive, intelligent outreach through any channel. Our technology sends hundreds of millions of e-mails and push notifications daily through both coordinated planned campaigns (traditional batch sends) and real-time marketing automation campaigns through Graymatter (in-house platform similar to Marketo). Our goal is to support highly personalized communications, at scale, with fast setup enabled by intuitive tooling and highly available platforms.
The Notifications Infrastructure team owns the core systems that enable construction of notifications and the actual sending/delivery of them at scale. This includes templating technology, services that construct content from dozens of sources, email servers distributed across the globe, and integrations enabling push and SMS notifications. If you are an engineer with a passion for high-volume systems, for reliability and availability, and for working on a critical pivot-point for a fast-growing business, wed love to talk to you.
What You'll Do
- Be a go-to technical leader for team-members, technical stakeholders, product managers, and peers
- Develop system designs and project specs to bring clarity and build alignment on short and long term plans
- Build systems with clear contextual boundaries, that expose user-friendly APIs, and have well-defined SLOs and SLIs
- Collaborate with product/engineering leadership to build and drive your teams mission
- Lead efforts to scale Wayfairs notifications pipelines to match an aggressive business growth rate
- Work with a variety of technologies including Java, Python, PowerMTA, Kafka, Akka, and more
- Hone your technical leadership skills as you help grow engineers on your team to develop the next generation of Wayfair engineering
- Provide high quality reviews, for both code and technical designs
What You'll Need
- Extensive experience designing, building, and maintaining high scale software systems
- Exposure to a variety of software development patterns (Examples can include: test-driven development, object-oriented design, functional programming, stream processing, circuit-breaker pattern, etc)
- A desire and willingness to help your teammates develop their own skill-sets
- B.S. or equivalent experience in computer science/related field
Wayfair is one of the worlds largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, were reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If youre looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then youll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking. No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. Were a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair and world for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. Thats why were proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.