The Personalization team makes deciding what to play next easier and more enjoyable for every listener. From Daily Mix to Discover Weekly, were behind some of Spotifys most-loved features. We built them by understanding the world of music and podcasts better than anyone else. Join us and youll keep millions of users listening by making great recommendations to each and every one of them.
We are looking for a Staff Engineer with significant expertise in the Backend Engineering domain to join our Listening Experiences product area, a collection of 5 teams that make personalized playlists. You will evolve our technical vision for blending music and other audio experiences (e.g., podcasts, news, history, sports, wellness, trivia, etc) that are personalized and adapt to changing listening habits. You will advance the state of the art for recommending these experiences in a detailed and ubiquitous way. As one of the most senior individual contributors in the product area, you will also work as a technical leader across squads, assume technical leadership of projects and champion technical and architectural completion, especially in the subject area of Backend Engineering. You will grow the capabilities of the team by promoting meticulous engineering practices, facilitating technical strategies and roadmaps, regularly assessing the health of teams technology, and advocating for standard methodologies in the Spotify backend community. You will also mentor other specialists to support them in their career growth.
What You'll Do
- Be an authority and valued contributor in a multi-functional agile organization and within Spotify in general.
- Contribute to the vision and long-term technical strategy of mixed media and other listening experiences.
- Initiate, influence and drive technical projects across teams within Spotify, especially in the field of Backend Engineering.
- Architect, develop, and operate Java services deployed to millions of users.
- Work with data engineers building batch and real-time data pipelines with data processing frameworks like Scio, Storm, Spark and the Google Cloud Platform.
- Collaborate with other specialists, product managers, engineering managers, designers, data analysts, and user researchers to identify and tackle meaningful problems, crafting awesome audio sessions for users worldwide.
- Champion technical and architectural perfection. Promote high standards in terms of alignment to best practices. Lead by example in terms of code consistency, performance, robustness, testing, scalability, intuitive APIs and libraries, all of which are core tenets for our solutions.
- Lead in the Spotify-wide backend engineering developer community affecting and driving architectures across the Personalization team.
- Disseminate knowledge and findings across the organization, leveling up our engineering practices and mentoring other specialists.
- Work in an environment that supports your individual growth by providing you with results-oriented work, the freedom to acquire new skills on hack days, reading groups, and a variety of internal training courses.
- Stay up to date on state of the art technology and engineering developments. Steer towards good tool and technology choices that both fit the problem at hand and aligns with long term visions and roadmaps.
Who You Are
- You have validated experience in hands-on engineering. You have deep expertise in backend engineering and you are proficient and interested in big data processing technologies.
- You have extensive experience crafting long term technical roadmaps and guiding technical innovation. In the past, you have solved problems that affect the larger engineering organization.
- You have validated experience as a technical leader of a department of 30+ engineers.
- You have worked with content recommendations.
- You have experience mentoring and supporting peers and engineering teams, fostering the best engineering practices.
- You possess a deep understanding of how to translate product and business goals into tech.
- You have a deep understanding of system design, data structures, and algorithms and understand how to apply them to craft pragmatic solutions.
- You are passionate about developing products for hundreds of millions of consumers and building platforms that are used by hundreds of internal engineers.
- You are passionate about what you do and have a strong interest in keeping up with current standard methodologies in your areas of expertise.
- As a phenomenal doer with great interpersonal skills, you love sharing your knowledge with others and helping them grow!
You are welcome at Spotify for who you are, no matter where you come from, what you look like, or whats playing in your headphones. Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. The more voices we have represented and amplified in our business, the more we will all thrive, contribute, and be forward-thinking! So bring us your personal experience, your perspectives, and your background. Its in our differences that we will find the power to keep revolutionizing the way the world listens.
Spotify transformed music listening forever when we launched in 2008. Our mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the chance to enjoy and be passionate about these creators. Everything we do is driven by our love for music and podcasting. Today, we are the worlds most popular audio streaming subscription service with a community of more than 320 million users.