Millions of Pet Parents with unique needs visit Chewy.com looking for products for their beloved pets. We have the task to solve the most important problems and make decisions for our Company in the service of our Pet Parents- what Assortment/Catalog will they see, what Prices will they buy at, what combination of overall pricing and catalog (sum of parts) offers the best long term value to the customers and the company, what can we do better to make our Category Management technology scale for our customers and suppliers?
Meet the Merch Science and Economics team @ Chewy. We use the best of machine learning and economics techniques and continuously test the outcomes to simplify our Catalog assortment, Pricing and business outcomes for our customers and Vendor partners. Our exceptional multi-disciplinary team of data scientists, economists, data engineers, software engineers and product managers work together to power these outcomes for our Pet Parents. Our team has single threaded ownership of the space allowing us to decide impactful products/projects that we can experiment, measure with metrics and deliver at a fast pace.
We are hiring a Staff Data Scientist and the candidate can choose Boston- MA or Dania Beach-Florida as their location. This is a leadership position that will have exposure across the entire business, influencing the vision, development and implementation of machine learning/data science systems that power the whole Merchandising business- i.e. Pricing, Catalog, Category/Vendor Management at scale. You bring experience spanning Economics and data science, software engineering and team leadership. This role offers a great opportunity for professional growth with Chewy - the leading online pet retailer in the US. You will have the opportunity of creating a unique and compelling value prop for our pet parents, on Chewy.com.
What you'll do:
- You will be a senior leader and data science expert on the team that others will look up to mentor and help solve problems.
- Be the evangelist leader for the Data science team, be hands on and build E2E models/systems, that become the role model/trailblazer approaches for others to follow.
- Drive development of data science practices across Chewy teams. Push adoption of emerging and relevant approaches to solve Merchandising Problems (Pricing, Promotions, Catalog and Supplier)
- Work with colleagues in data science and engineering to drive best practices in development, testing, and production deployment at scale.
- Establish strong working relationships at all organizational levels across different functional teams.
- Identify and manage priorities within the context of overall Chewy objectives.
What you'll need:
- MS or PhD in a quantitative/engineering field.
- Demonstrated history of leadership and full-cycle ownership of high impact data science and engineering projects, from model conceptualization to iterative implementation.
- 8+ years of experience in data science and related fields, alongside mentoring others.
- Economics experience is highly desirable, but not a core requirement.
- Proven experience with bringing structured thinking in ambiguous problems spaces and delivering solutions.