Wayfair Data Solutions is the engine that powers an enterprise obsessed with data. We move fast, iterating quickly on big business problems. We work smart, applying technology to unlock insights and provide outsized value to our customers. We swing big, knowing our customers wont benefit from micro optimizations. Leveraging the largest data set for products sold in the Home space, this team treats data as an asset and determines how to maximize its business value and extend our competitive advantage.
As a Data Solutions Engineer, you will be a hands-on technical leader who design and delivers Business Intelligence, Data Warehousing and Big Data Solution for our Customer Service Organization.
You will be responsible for driving the Wayfair Customer Service Transformation. You will be instrumental in building out our underlying data layer that will ensure Wayfair captures everything involved in the customer experience both on-site and during a support call/chat. Capturing the full life cycle of an incident, what that incident entails, and ultimately the resolution.
What you'll do:
- Own and develop technical architecture, design and implementation of big data platforms and business analytics solutions to empower your stakeholders to solve their data driven analytics and reporting needs
- Develop a robust, sustainable plan for the data area going forward, including projecting space requirements, procuring technology, and partnering with engineering on improvements to the data, 100TB+ highly desired.
- Act as a subject matter expert to leadership for technical guidance, solution design, and best practices within the Sales and Service Organization
- Build, schedule, and manage data movement from application origin through batch and streaming systems to make it available for key business decisions.
- Be a technical mentor to Junior Engineers and expose the team to new opportunities; keep current on big data and data visualization technology trends, evaluate, work on Proof-Of-Concept, and make recommendations on the technologies based on their merit
Who you are:
- A true expert on big data, comfortable working with datasets of varying latencies and size and disparate platforms.
- Excited about unlocking the valuable data hidden in inaccessible raw tables and logs.
- Attentive to detail and with a relentless focus on accuracy.
- Excited to collaborate with partners in business reporting and engineering to determine the source of truth of key business metrics.
- Familiarity with distributed data storage systems and the tradeoffs inherent in each one.
Who you are:
- Minimum 10+ years of relevant experience
- Experience owning and leading major data solution initiatives end to end
- Data modeling, extensive experience with SQL, Python, and exposure to cloud computing (AWS, Azure or Google, Google Cloud Preferable).
- Experience with one or more higher-level JVM-based data processing tools such as Beam, Dataflow, Spark or Flink.
- Experience designing and implementing different data warehousing technologies and approaches, such as RDBMS and NoSQL, Kimball vs. Inmon, etc. and how to apply them.
- Experience scheduling, structuring, and owning data transformation jobs that span multiple systems and have high requirements for volume handled, duration, or timing.
- Prior projects working with optimizing storage and access of high volume heterogeneous data with distributed systems such as Hadoop, including familiarity with various data storage mediums and the tradeoffs of each
- Prior data infrastructure experience in support to a Service driven organization is a plus but not essential.
- Bachelors or Masters in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Analytics, Mathematics, Statistics, Information Systems, Economics, Management or other quantitative discipline fields with a strong academic record
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair is one of the worlds largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, were reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If youre looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then youll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. Were a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair and world for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. Thats why were proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.