Note: This role is temporarily remote until it is safe to return to our Boston office.
Carbonite is looking for an eager Accounting professional to join our team as a Staff Accountant! As Staff Accountant, you will be responsible for general accounting functions related to the general ledger and period closes. Additionally, you will assist the team in preparing for quarterly reviews and annual audits with external auditors, and you will be responsible for ensuring that specific key controls are followed for SOX compliance.
Specific Objectives and Responsibilities
Your First Six Months:
- Reconcile various GL accounts with primary focus on cash accounts as part of the month end close process
- Assist in monthly and quarterly close support, with primary focus in reconciling bank accounts
- Maintain and monitor daily global cash balance
- Prepare weekly detail cash reports and forecasts of cash balances
- Prepare monthly journal entries and related support for review prior to posting
- Work with external and internal auditors on requests for information for quarterly reviews and the annual audit
- Assist with compiling information for Sarbanes Oxley testing and compliance
- Provide day to day accounting operations support and assistance with ad hoc tasks and projects
- All of the above, plus:
- Execute month-end close activities based on the close schedule with limited supervision
- Continually look for opportunities to generate efficiencies and increase effectiveness of financial operations
- Collaborate with team members to assist when re-allocation of work is needed
- Adapt to changes in a fast-paced environment
- Effectively communicate any potential issues to team members and supervisor in a timely manner
What will make you successful at Carbonite:
- A track record of good judgment and decision-making in positions with significant responsibility
- Highly autonomous and able to independently identify high value projects and drive them to completion
- Demonstrated leadership capability in cross-functional team environments
- Having and being able to articulate/defend an informed opinion on important topics
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting and/or Finance
- 0-2 years of relevant work experience and/or internships
- An eagerness to learn and a proactive approach in taking on new opportunities and challenges
- Experience using Excel for analyzing data, including knowledge of pivots and common function
- Ability to work both independently and with the team in a fast-paced environment
- Strong organizational skills and detail oriented
- Ability to multi-task and thrive in a dynamic work environment is crucial
- Experience with Microsoft Office and NetSuite preferred
Carbonite provides a complete Data Protection Platform for businesses and the IT professionals who serve them. From backup and disaster recovery to data migration, high availability and endpoint protection, our flexible solutions can be tailored to meet the data protection needs of any business.
Carbonite solutions are strengthened by our outstanding team members and through strategic acquisitions—like our purchase of leading endpoint protection provider Mozy Inc., and high availability specialist DoubleTake Software. Our laser focus on security and our track record of meeting customers' unique requirements are two more reasons why businesses around the globe depend on Carbonite.
Carbonite is made up of over 1,000 smart and dedicated individuals who work at locations all over the world. We foster a thriving, dynamic environment rich with inventive minds and entrepreneurial spirit. With our robust Data Protection Platform, we are well-positioned in a rapidly growing market. We're currently looking for talented people to join the Carbonite team both in the U.S. and globally. Are you ready to grow with us?