Office Tour Photos
The Manager of Content Services oversees the highly technical and ever-evolving production process for OReillys print and ebook publishing program. He/She will guide the production team in support of new learning products, including interactive and other technologies not typically found in traditional book publishing. The role requires creativity and problem solving, excitement aboutworking in a technical environment, a high level of accountability, strong leadership skills, and focus on what's best for ourcustomers.
The Manager plays a key role in supporting our Editorial team and authors, and in creating and optimizing workflows, processes, and guidance to ensure timeliness, high quality, and excellent customer service. This position is responsible for overall scheduling and management, ensuring the timely and successful completion of every stage in the production process, including pre-production checks, file conversions, art preparation, page layout, copyediting, proofreading, indexing, and quality check reviews.
The Manager is responsible for ensuring that all titles are produced on schedule and according to OReilly quality standards. Direct reports for this position include six production editors as well as personnel involved in reprints, errata, art production, and vendor coordination. This position reports to the VP, Publishing Operations and is located in our Boston, MA office.
- Directly manage a staff of approximately 6-8 people, includingProductionEditors and other related positions, driving to meet publishing schedules and maintain quality
- Evaluate manuscripts submitted toProductionto ascertainproduction-readiness
- Monitor & report on progress of books throughProduction; assign projects toProductionEditors and guide projects to completion
- Monitor and maintain high quality standards for all books/ebooks; ensure production team supports authors, editors, and customers
- Align production team with editorial and corporate strategy and goals
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong knowledge of and hands-on experience withproductionprocesses, including project management, copyediting, proofreading, typesetting, indexing, technical illustration, page layout, offset printing, and POD printing
- Comfortable working in technical environments and some knowledge/familiarity with tools/technologies such as markup languages, HTML, asciidoc, XML, product databases, git and/or GitHub, some familiarity with running command line scripts
- Experience hiring and managing external production vendors
- Strong ability to lead a team to achieve company goals
- Working knowledge of traditional page layout software suites, especially InDesign, as well as re-flowable formats (HTML and/or XML)
- Practical knowledge of e-content trends and directions, as well as a passion for helping reinvent the publishing industry with new types of e-content solutions
- Basic knowledge of digital publishing formats, especially ePub
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent proofreading and organizational skills; strong attention to detail and deadline-orientation
- Ability to manage many different projects with varying degrees of urgency, frequent changes, and several responsible parties
- Ability to think quickly and critically, with excellent problem-solving skills
- 4-year college degree in English, communications, publishing, or related field; or a combination of relevant education and experience
- 5 years publishing experience with an emphasis onproductiontools and technologies; 3 years working in an STM publishing environment
- 3 years publishing experience in a leadproductionrole.
More Jobs From