Software Engineering Manager (Enterprise Health)
At Fitbit, our mission is to help people lead healthier, more active lives by empowering them with data, inspiration and guidance to reach their goals.
We started our journey in 2007as a team of two with one big idea. Since then, weve grown to over 1,500 employees, sold over 60mm devices, and built a health and fitness community across the globe. In fact, the Fitbit Community has taken enough steps to walk from the Sun to Pluto! Offering award-winning products,a top-rated mobile app and an easy-to-use online dashboard,Fitbit provides personalized experiences that help our users reach their goals. With a reenergized focus on innovative devices, interactive experiences, and enterprise health we are transforming the way consumers and businesses see health & fitness.
From your first steps as a Fitbitter, you will be at the forefront of developing new products. Our culture combines the spirit of startup with the perks of being public. We offer a competitive benefits package and amazing perks like unlimited snacks, Friday happy hours, onsite workout classes, and a strong focus on a healthy work-life balance. As part of our team, youll have the opportunity to grow your career, contribute your ideas to life-changing products and services, andabove allhave fun doing it.
FitbitsHQ campus is located in the heart of San Francisco with office locations in Boston, San Diego and around the world.Think youve found your fit?
The Fitbit Plus team at Fitbit is committed to empowering individuals to take control of their health and equipping health coaches and other healthcare providers with tools that optimize collaboration and care.
Were looking for a strong leader to join and support this team as part of our Enterprise Health engineering organization. You will manage and grow a team of software engineers responsible for our health coaching platform and its integration with other Fitbit products and services.
WE are a passionate team building out the tools to improve health outcomes across our rapidly growing user base. We strive to continually improve our code and our process, ensuring that we can deliver the best feature set to users in the minimal amount of time. We believe that we can change lives with the work we do.
YOU are a talented software engineering leader focused on shipping the best quality software. You value empowerment, inclusive ownership, and collaborative, fast-moving environments. You enjoy analyzing problems and architecting solutions, and believe that every interaction the customer has should be compelling and first rate. You write clear and concise code using modern tools and frameworks.
As a Software Engineering Manager, you'll have the mandate to grow and manage a team of software engineers, define technology roadmaps and strategies, and drive excellence in execution. This is a hands-on engineering management position involving coaching, mentoring, and technical contribution. You will understand the needs of our users and work closely with a cross-functional team to craft a simple and high quality platform to meet them, delivering distributed architectures and full stack solutions that push the state of the art.
What Youll Work On:
- Grow and lead a team of software engineers collaborating on product and technology projects across mobile, web, and cloud backend tech stacks
- Coach and develop leadership skills of direct reports
- Own full-lifecycle responsibility for products and services supporting millions of users with Node.js, Java, MongoDB, MySQL, and related tools and technologies in a scalable cloud environment
- Work with technical team to advance data-driven technical decisions for projects
- Participate in all aspects of product development from feature definition and estimation, to architecture, design, implementation, testing, deployment, and monitoring
- Develop, track, and communicate progress and risks to technology roadmap, maintaining alignment with product roadmap to support multiple stakeholders
- Oversee and build consensus on architecture and critical implementations, product and code quality, and use of best practices for highly scalable systems
- Develop, maintain, and implement staffing and hiring plans working closely with product teams, department management, and recruiting team
- Facilitate or participate in technology and product development project retrospectives
Who You Are:
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science or equivalent skill
- 2+ years of experience managing software engineering teams
- 5+ years of hands-on software engineering experience delivering value in B2B or consumer-facing software businesses
- Experience designing, testing, delivering, and monitoring scalable high-availability web software and mobile clients, with a cloud computing environment such as Amazon EC2 or Google Cloud Platform
- Proficient with a modern, horizontally scaled SQL database (especially sharded MySQL) OR with a modern NoSQL database (especially MongoDB or Cassandra)
- Testing and deploying software with robust credentialing and access controls
- Microservices architecture design
- Distributed messaging systems (e.g. Kafka)
- Experience with HIPAA / HITRUST
Perks & Benefits:
- Competitive salaries and annual bonuses
- Top-tier MacBook
- Full-time, flexible work schedule
- Ability to grow professionally in a collaborative global team
- Comfortable office, fruits and snacks
- Free Fitbit products
Fitbit is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, hire, train, promote, pay, and administer all personnel actions without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), sex stereotyping (including assumptions about a persons appearance or behavior, gender roles, gender expression, or gender identity), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, mental or physical disability, military or veteran status, genetic information or other statuses protected by law. We interpret these protected statuses broadly to include both the actual status and any perceptions and assumptions made regarding these statuses.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance Fitbit will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.