Software Engineering Manager, Backend/API
At PathAI, we're applying it in amazing ways to pathology, healthcare, and detecting cancer and other diseases. We're applying our work to drug development, the clinical space, and as a global health initiative. Since it's early days for us, there's a lot of work to do and a lot of great product to build, and a well-engineered experience is critical to the success of everything we aspire to do.
We're looking for skilled hands-on Director of Engineering to act as a player/coach, helping to nurture our growing team of backend engineers and further our software platform. You are part principal level engineer, part teacher / trainer / mentor / recruiter / career coach.
If you're the right candidate, you'll be exercising all the skills you have and building new ones along the way:
- Lead a growing team of engineers developing a Python/Django-based platform, leading from your own experience in stacks like these (but not necessarily Python based).
- Contribute to engineering efforts yourself. We expect this to be about 50/50 management in the short term, but that will change as the team grows.
- Enable your team to work effectively while maintaining autonomy and responsibility within cross-disciplinary teams.
- Coordinate with leads of other disciplines, including product management, product design, platform engineering, and design engineering.
- Drive and uphold high engineering standards, bringing consistency to the codebases you encounter and ensuring software is adequately reviewed, tested, and integrated.
- Mentor, learn, and share knowledge with others along the way.
Our employees' skills come in all shapes and sizes, but to be successful in this role with us, you'll at least need:
- Engineering skills. We expect engineering Directors to be capable of operating as a principal engineer, so you'll have spent at least a few years in this field building and shipping code.
- Management experience. You've been around the block a more than a couple times, and have personally managed direct reports in the past, teams of at least 5.
- Education. Generally, a bachelor's degree is really helpful in working with our team on this kind of work. But feel free to convince us if you're the exception.
- An insatiable intellectual curiosity and the ability to learn quickly in a complex space
For the right candidate, we'll offer a competitive salary plus equity. We have a strong benefits package, including heavily-subsidized health, dental, and vision insurance plans to keep you in peak shape. It's rounded out by:
- Flexible work hours
- Three weeks of paid leave per year, plus holidays and extended leave
- Convertible sit-stand desks
- Your choice of computer equipment
- Free lunch on Fridays
- Snacks and drinks in the office which currently include a mountain of Milano cookies and cold brew coffee and green tea on tap.
Most importantly, you'll be doing important work with a team of people you'll enjoy spending the day with.
PathAI is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to creating a workplace that is free of harassment and discrimination. We base our employment decisions on business needs, job requirements, and qualifications that's all. We do not discriminate based on race, gender, religion, health, personal beliefs, age, family or parental status, or any other status. We don't tolerate any kind of discrimination or bias, and we are looking for teammates who feel the same way.