EditShare exists to simplify storytelling. We enable media professionals to collaborate on projects thanks to our ever-expanding range of innovative products and features, all designed to improve production and unleash creativity. Integration and collaboration are central to all products in our comprehensive range of media management solutions - from ingest to archive.
Why We Need You
EditShare is seeking a highly-talented Engineering Manager eager to lead a development team working on our GNU/Linux-based video workflow products in our Boston office. Technologies in our products span the entire computing stack, from low-level kernel modules and optimizations, to high-performance distributed storage and network applications, to user-facing cross-platform and web-based client applications. We even run and support our own GNU/Linux distribution!
If you love working on a wide variety of technologies with a small team of motivated engineers, then this may be the job for you.
Problems You’ll Solve
Manage a global (location diverse) Storage Development team
- From day one, exhibit technical knowledge in our principle programming languages--Python and C or C++--as well as Linux OS
- In the first 30 days, conduct one-on-one meetings with members of the team to gain an understanding of the current state of development with an eye towards implementing improvements and removing roadblocks
- On an ongoing basis you will plan and lead scrum meetings, including backlog grooming, sprint planning, and retrospective while serving as the escalation point for bottlenecks, deadline risk, etc.
- Within the first 90 days, develop a hiring plan in line with achieving release goals and product roadmap milestones.
- Provide technical leadership and guidance, in collaboration with Architecture team, to team members for project level architectures and design work
- Collaborate with Product Management and Engineering leadership to ensure clearly defined user stories, product definition and acceptance criteria.
- Within the first 6 months, and on an ongoing basis, partner with the Video, Platform and Architecture teams to understand and resolve dependencies on product features.
- Within the first 9 months, establish and enforce the tools, techniques, principles and practices of the development organization.
What We’re Looking For
People Management. This role will lead and manage a team of 7+ Engineers globally. Keeping the overall storage development process on track while also providing mentorship and career guidance to individuals on the team will be a daily balance
Tech savvy. The person in this role will be expected to be a hands-on leader and be knowledgeable in our core tech (mentioned above) as well as having an ability to write detailed defects, some level of cross-platform development (Windows, MacOS and Linux). Bonus for anyone that has storage product experience, video solution background or cloud based solution experience (AWS, Google, Azure, etc.)
Adaptability. Our business environment changes often, as does the direction of the company (and sometimes the focus of our Engineering team). This person will need to be able to embrace fast pace, changes in direction/strategy AND be able to message those changes to the team in a way that prompts buy-in.
How We Work
The spirit at EditShare encompasses customer empathy, humility, winning together, digging deeply, and playing multiple roles. The way our staff meets its challenges makes us what we are and is the reason why EditShare has been such a success since its founding in 2004.
You will need to demonstrate that you can make a difference quickly while embracing Editshare’s performance-driven culture. We’ll give you the help you need to make that happen. Our team has a few common characteristics; if you share these, you’ll fit right in:
- Customer Empathy: We listen first. We believe this allows us to understand the context of the story and respond rapidly with innovative solutions.
- Humility: We recognize that we are stronger as the sum of our parts and respect the value of each individual contribution. We have the courage to do the hard work and learn along the way.
- Dig Deep: We have the curiosity to ask questions until we understand and the integrity to follow through on hard discussions.
- All Around Players: We are all willing and able to step in and play any position. We all own the problem and are willing to quarterback a solution.
- Win Together: We are happy when our customers and our teams succeed. We practice honest communication and respectfully work together to solve complex problems.