Software Engineer Intern
Who We Are
Ellevation is a growth-stage education software company that is changing how educators work with English Language Learners, the fastest-growing student demographic in the country. We build web-based tools for educators to help enhance instruction, improve collaboration, and increase productivity. We partner with public school districts all across the country. In the past 12 months, we have more than doubled the size of our team and quadrupled the number of districts that we serve. We are well-capitalized, have an awesome and growing team, and are looking to add passionate, smart, fun and entrepreneurial folks to who are interested in building a high-impact company. This is where you come in
We are looking for a Software Engineer to join Ellevations core technology team for the summer as an Intern. In this role, you will play a key role in helping to build dynamic web applications and services, implement complex data and API integrations, and be part of the conception-to-design-to-implementation product development process.
As a member of our small engineering team, you will contribute to our software development ecosystem. Just as importantly, we are looking for someone who wants to be in a startup, has tremendous communication skills, and is a motivated self-starter.
We value best-practice software engineering principles such as continuous integration, loose coupling, and SOA. As a small technology group, we seek individuals who are willing to be cross-functional and hands-on in multiple areas. You will be testing, releasing and supporting the code that you design and develop. This is a tremendous opportunity to help build the engineering foundation of the company.
Desired Skills & Experience
The ideal candidate has an understanding of core software development principles and the right attitude and interest to learn more. Candidates who have the following background and experience are encouraged to apply:
- Strong design & implementation skills.
- Design patterns, OO concepts and applications, refactoring and Software as a Service (SaaS) development
- Experience with relational databases
Bonus points for experience or expertise in any of the following areas:
- Scripting languages such as Python or PowerShell
- Microsoft & .NET tech stack -- C#, ASP.NET MVC, SQL Server
- Comfortable getting in front of a whiteboard and discussing both high level architecture and as well as coding/algorithms.
- Good analytical problem solver and a team player.
- Eager to learn, willing to ask questions and learn on the job.
Qualifications and Requirements
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent degree upon graduation.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate cross-functionally.
- Commitment to the mission; desire to focus talents on helping improve outcomes for others.
- Great location in Boston - a stones throw from the Chauncy Street/Downtown Crossing T stop
- Ability to make a significant impact in the education industry
- Free snacks, beverages, fruit, and we even compost!
- On-site gym, game room and darts
- Opportunity to join an open and collaborative work environment
Learn more about our team here:https://ellevationeducation.com/culture