Hi there. We’re Zipcar, the world’s leading car-sharing network, driven to make cities better places to live.
Since 2000, we’ve worked hard to turn a brilliant and disruptive idea into a movement that serves more than a million members worldwide. We’re keeping the pedal to the metal and growing every day. That’s why we need talented, passionate people with great ideas to join the Zipcar family.
Want to work for a company that is shaping the future of urban mobility? Ready to join a dynamic, playful, diverse, and respectful company that’s seriously changing the world? Then apply! To learn more, visit zipcar.com or zipcar.com/careers.
Zipcar is the world’s largest shared-mobility company. We are adding senior talent to our engineering team at our offices in San Mateo and Boston. We have a rich software stack with which we solve a wide range of challenges such as embedded custom hardware and firmware, mobile-first user experience, analytics, and scalable real-time scheduling.
- Microservice architecture using RabbitMQ for internal communication, with services mainly written for the JDK (Java/Groovy/Kotlin) and Ruby
- Native mobile applications on Android and iOS
- Responsive client applications built on ReactJS, Redux, and TypeScript
- CMS using Drupal
- Modern continuous integration and deployment, using technologies including Concourse, Docker, and BOSH
- Ability to balance aggressive delivery schedules with maintainable quality code
- Require minimal supervision and can help a team drive a project to completion
- Own changes to be made from definition to support in production
- Experience with various software lifecycle tools such as Git and JIRA
- Have experience with TDD or TAD (Test Accompanied Development), developer-written automated testing and all things that lead to confidence in our code in a Continuous Delivery infrastructure.
- Have a deep understanding of cross-browser compatibility issues and approaches
- Possess a grasp of SEO-friendly practices and Google Analytics or similar tools
- Experience with responsive and adaptive design
6+ years experience and skill in technologies including
- HTML, CSS, ReactJS framework or similar, ECMAScript 6+ or TypeScript, and modern tooling such as Grunt, Gulp, NPM, Yarn, SASS, LESS, PostCSS, etc.
- Understanding of microservice architectures and messaging systems (e.g. RabbitMQ), REST and other concepts in API architecture
- Web services written in Java or variant
- Databases (relational and document)
- Instrumentation of an app or service for alerting and monitoring (New Relic)
- Functional, unit, integration and performance testing
- Shipped robust, high-performance, high-scalability applications to production
- Experience with a 24/7 production environment
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Clear verbal and written communication; demonstrated ability to collaborate cross-functionally and with peers from a variety of disciplines
- Demonstrated leadership and mentorship
The ideal candidate
- Has breadth and depth of skill to build scalable applications
- Is dedicated to delivering outstanding customer experience
- Ensures they are a critical part of the success of the team
- Is passionionate about learning new tools, frameworks, languages
- Enjoys both teaching and learning from others
- Approaches differences in opinion through inquisition and concensus building
- Is more concerned with doing the right thing than being right.
- Acts courageously and does the right thing, even when it's hard to do
- Commited to Zipcar’s ideals of sustainable resource sharing and urban mobility
As a member of the Zipcar Team you get a great benefits package including health and dental insurance, 401k, vacation time, paid holidays, personal and sick leave, along with a full complement of other insurance and support programs.
Because our work has a global impact, we enthusiastically support each employee’s commitment to creating a better world by offering:
Free Zipcar membership & discounted driving rates for you and your significant other
- Paid volunteer time off
- Bicycle commuter reimbursement
- Paid parental leave for mothers & fathers
- Training and development programs To accelerate career growth
- Global footprint of job locations and opportunities
- Flexible and open work arrangements
- Fun, respectful, passionate, and collaborative environment
- Educational Assistance Program
- Company sponsored parties, outings, and events
- Discounts on a variety of products and services through Zipcar partners
Zipcar is an EEO Employer
To all recruitment agencies: Zipcar does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Zipcar employees or any other company location. Zipcar is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes