Born out of Boston Children’s Hospital, Mightier is a biofeedback game platform that teaches kids emotion calming skills through play. Kids wear a Mighty Band heart rate monitor while playing a library of biofeedback games and must regulate their heart rate to win. The games empower kids to practice self-calming skills that transfer to real-life situations. Additionally, the Mightier program supports parents with expert coaching. Three clinical trials with children with ADHD (ages 6-14) showed reduced oppositional behaviors, aggression, and family stress in just 12 weeks. We launched our first product in July 2017, reached over 3,000 families, and raised $9M from top venture capital and angel investors. Our mission is to empower millions of kids to become Mightier than their emotions.
Why is this role important?
Mightier grows every day, and we are seeking a creative and detail-oriented software engineer to join our growing product and engineering team. In this role, you will help drive the direction of our web product and bring it to the next level with features and robustness. You’ll do this by participating in whiteboard design discussions, designing solutions to take on problems at scale, building consumer-facing features, participating in code reviews, and tackling big architectural milestones on our engineering roadmap. If you enjoy writing code in a collaborative team environment and want to build a product you’d be proud to have your family and close friends use, then we want to hear from you!
What you’ll do - Build & scale stuff:
- Product development: be part of a small and growing team where you will have a big impact on all aspects of product development.
Build foundational features: you’ll need to balance product/design initiatives with maintaining the integrity and quality of service of our systems as we evolve them. A few projects on the horizon:
- Parent reporting dashboard
- Sign-up & checkout flows
- Customer management tools
- Expanding our RESTful API’s
- Scale our infrastructure: help us scale 10x with an eye towards 100x, 1000x
- Data management: manage data coming in, data going out, data storage, and data processing pipelines. We want you to come up with answers for how we empower our product teams to answer big questions with data.
- Usability: make sure that what we build delights our customers and is intuitive to use
Relevant experience and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent demonstrated experience.
- At least 2+ years of software development experience.
- Ability to thoroughly test your code and ensure it is a high-quality end product.
- Strong competency in at least one programming language and sound knowledge of software engineering principles, i.e. object-oriented design, algorithmic complexity, and software design patterns.
- Familiar with cloud delivery (AWS, Azure, Google Cloud, etc.) and containerization/orchestration (Docker, K8s, etc.).
- Experience with NoSQL data stores (e.g. Redis, ElasticSearch).
- Excellent communication skills and willingness to participate in a culture of feedback and collaboration.
- A love and respect for Python.
- Experience writing Django applications.
- Experience with microservices architecture.
- You like to take ownership from the inception of a feature from the first lines of code to how it performs in production (you build it, you run it).
- You love learning new technologies and new ways to solve problems.
- Comfortable in a culture of fast iteration.
- Your motto is “work smarter, not harder.”
Working with us:
We are still a small team at Mightier and many of us come from incredibly varied career backgrounds. You will be working and communicating with people like psychologists and parents to push Mightier forward. We all believe in the platform; we care about our players and those who work on the platform, and we cultivate a free and open work environment where everyone’s voice is heard.