Independently perform complex applications/web development for projects of large to very large size and complexity; typically work as part of a team to implement business solutions. Responsible for all aspects of application development cycle. Code advanced and complex software solutions.
I0757P Applications Professional III
The Program in Islamic Law (PIL) at Harvard Law School is looking for a software engineer to join the team developing digital tools for SHARIAsource. An initiative of the Program on Islamic Law at Harvard Law School, SHARIAsource is home to a growing library of primary sources for Islamic law (historical texts, legislative and court records, and fatwas or documents). We will use data science and AI as components of digital humanities tools that make legal sources more accessible for new research and analysis.
The Software Engineer will work closely with the Institute for Quantitative Social Science (IQSS), the Program on Islamic Law, and the Harvard Libraries to develop tools to mine library collections for source material, leverage OCR and data visualization techniques to develop digitization processes for historical Arabic texts, develop scalable analytical tools for research and develop project-specific features for open source delivery platforms.
Initial focus will be on building a tool / algorithm to pull required data from the Harvard library database via its API building a front-end tool to allow for filters and refinement of Islamic law collection and building a "StackLife" tool for display of virtual browsing that is integrated into SHARIAsource Portal. Second, focus will shift to refining an Arabic OCR tool to reliably convert Arabic text into Unicode text and create a user interface through which researchers can correct or annotate documents.
The Software Engineer will:
- Work closely with technical leadership to manifest evolving requirements into a working suite of applications, in collaboration with lead researchers.
- Implement web-service backends using Python or Node.js.
- Design efficient SQL databases, indices, and tools to address research and technical needs.
- Develop appropriate unit tests, ensure QA, and adhere to coding standards and best practices established by technical leadership.
- The Software Engineer should be familiar with Agile software engineering practices and tools , passionate for development and delivery of quality software, and enthusiastic about working with product owners, engineers, and testers in a research context.
Typical Core Duties
- Participate fully in software development life cycle
- Implement and support technical solutions to deliver business requirements
- Identify and evaluate opportunities to improve services
- Contribute ideas to coding best practices and new technologies
- Draw on relationship and technical skills to act as technical liaison to internal and external clients
- Abide by and follow the Harvard University IT technical standards, policies and Code of Conduct
- Minimum of two years' post-secondary education and/or relevant work experience
- Knowledge of information technology applications, processes, software and equipment
- Demonstrated team performance skills, service mindset approach, and the ability to act as a trusted advisor
- M.S. in computer science or related field and five years' post secondary education and/or relevant work experience is preferred.
- Ideal candidates will have professional experience with end-to-end development (front-end, RESTful web services, database design).
- Experience working with Agile methodologies (continuous integration, unit testing, SCRUM) is highly desirable.
- Experience with React, Redux, Hibernate, and Spring is highly desirable.
- Experience with similar front end technologies like AngularJS and extJS is also valuable.
- Candidates should be comfortable collaborating with technical leadership, sponsors and end-users.
- Prior experience in the development of search tools, Information Architecture, and scientific software is highly desirable.
This a term appointment expected to extend one year from start date, contingent on department need and funding. This position may be renewed based on funding and performance.
All offers to be made by HLS Human Resources.
Information Technology, Research
USA - MA - Cambridge
Program for Islamic Law
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/gc3k3zqnmvys6gdv