Software Development Manager
ERT is a global data and technology company that minimizes uncertainty and risk in clinical trials so that customers can move ahead with confidence. With nearly 50 years of clinical and therapeutic experience, ERT balances knowledge of what works with a vision for what’s next, so we can adapt without compromising standards.
Powered by the company’s EXPERT® technology platform, ERT’s solutions enhance trial oversight, enable site optimization, increase patient engagement and measure the efficacy of new clinical treatments while ensuring patient safety. Since 2014, more than half of all FDA drug approvals came from ERT-supported studies. Pharma companies, biotechs and CROs have relied on ERT solutions in 10,000+ studies spanning more than three million patients to date. By identifying trial risks before they become problems, ERT enables customers to bring clinical treatments to patients quickly — and with confidence.
Our Boston office is hiring a Software Development Manager to mentor and lead an engineering team focused on sustaining existing products and/or delivering new product initiatives. This role requires leadership abilities, software skills, and a disciplined approach to managing the software development lifecycle.
- Execute an agreed-upon technical and management strategy to sustain existing products and to develop new product initiatives as assigned. May involve multiple projects within multiple product lines.
- In collaboration with product management, determine product requirements within an agile development framework and establish development milestones. Achieve and document those milestones on time and within budget. Monitor and report variations to plan.
- Collaborate with Software Quality Engineering to build software that maximizes test automation and distributes integration responsibilities throughout the development cycle.
- Responsible for the capacity of the software development team and for variation in capacity and rate of productivity and quality, such as unplanned work, work remaining, quality indicators, and actual quality versus planned velocity.
- Collaborate with upper management, Quality Assurance, Service Delivery and Product Management teams for effective communication and documentation that are intended for customers, corporate management and validation.
- Proactively identify potential risks and work with stakeholders to develop mitigation strategies. Maintain and monitor development metrics in various corporate systems.
- Work with the Human Resources department to attract and retain top-notch talent; maintain an effective, measurable performance management process. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, training and developing employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Inform staff members of their responsibilities for technical working procedures and confirm their understanding at suitable intervals.
- Be able to think differently and embrace change when needed.
- The duties and responsibilities listed in this job description represent the major responsibilities of the position. Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned, as required. This job description and any attachments do not constitute or represent a contract.
- IT related, scientific or technical education/degree or equivalent.
- 8+ years’ experience in the development of software
- 3+ tears’ in technical management or project management
- Good trouble shooting and communication skills
- Overall technical insight in ERT products.
- Good knowledge of object oriented software development
- Knowledge of software engineering frameworks and methodologies
- Knowledge of risk management techniques
- Knowledge of team management techniques
- Exposure to pharmaceutical product development and regulatory approval process preferred
- Previous mobile development is helpful
Business process re-engineering experience a plus
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.