Office Tour Photos
HMH Software Engineering provides cutting edge, individualized learning experiences to millions of students across the United States. We are as driven by this mission as we are by continuously improving ourselves and the way we work. Our offices are high energy, collaborative bee hives of activity where work is centered on small, autonomous teams that build great software. We trust each other, hold ourselves and our teammates accountable for results, and improve student outcomes with each release.
At HMH we constantly experiment with new approaches and novel ways of solving problems. We often succeed and sometimes stumble – either way we learn and move forward with more confidence than we had the day before. We are as passionate about new technologies and engineering craftsmanship as we are about transforming the EdTech industry itself.
We’re not just looking for hands on a keyboard to pound out code, we’re looking for talented teammates and colleagues who contribute as much as they receive and thrive working with us.
If this sounds like you let’s talk.
The Opportunity - Software Engineer
Software Engineers personify the notion of constant improvement as they work with their team to build software that delivers on our mission to improve student outcomes. You’re not afraid to try new things even if they don’t work out as expected. You are independent, self-directed, high energy and as eager to contribute to your team as you are to progress on your own path to software craftsmanship. You’ll thrive working a fast-paced, low friction environment where you’ll be exposed to a wide range of cutting edge technologies.
- Work collaboratively as part of a software development team producing software that advances our core mission.
- Eagerly learn and apply new cutting edge technologies.
- Contribute to our engineering culture and ever-improving concept of engineering best practices.
Skills & Experience
- Typically 2+ years of experience in software development/engineering.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or related field.
- Understand the software development process and how their work contributes to the larger goals, know how to make that process better, one step at a time.
- Experience working with a team on a large project, typically working with Agile software development methodologies is preferred.
- Experience working with JVM-based languages such as Java and Scala
- Interest in adopting new technologies and methodologies such as functional programming, distributed computing, machine learning, advanced data engineering, serverless computing.
- Interest in cloud technologies (AWS/Azure) and systems like Apache Kafka, Apache Spark, Amazon Kinesis, etc.
- Might be in a stationary position for a considerable time (sitting and/or standing).
- The person in this position needs to move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer.
- Must be able to collaborate with colleagues via face to face, conference calls, and online meetings.
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (NASDAQ:HMHC) is a global learning company dedicated to changing people’s lives by fostering passionate, curious learners. As a leading provider of pre-K–12 education content, services, and cutting-edge technology solutions across a variety of media, HMH enables learning in a changing landscape. HMH is uniquely positioned to create engaging and effective educational content and experiences from early childhood to beyond the classroom. HMH serves more than 50 million students in over 150 countries worldwide, while its award-winning children's books, novels, non-fiction, and reference titles are enjoyed by readers throughout the world.
For more information, visit http://careers.hmhco.com
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt is an equal employment opportunity employer and participates in E-Verify. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of gender, race/ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, or other protected group status.
More Jobs From