Site Reliability Engineer
ABOUT THE COMPANY
A bit about us: while most companies only want you to buy what theyre selling, the Grommet is focused on helping people discover things worth buying. Through our e-commerce shop and wholesale business, we shine a light on great new products from small businesses and help them compete with the big guys, so the best ideas win.Over the past decade, we have discovered and launched thousands of unique and innovative products, including several household brands like FitBit, IdeaPaint, OtterBox, and SodaStream.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are seeking an SRE who has experience with PHP systems. Our engineering team currently supports four production sites powered by a Magento 1 platform: a consumer ecommerce site, a wholesale ecommerce site, a vendor-facing site, and an internal admin site.
Over the next year, our team will be developing the next iteration of our platform from the ground up based on Magento 2 and Laravel. We have an exciting road map where youll be helping support such projects as implementing an intuitive and responsive UI/UX shopping experience, developing new REST endpoints, creating new billing, shipping, and EDI integrations, integrating with 3rd party marketing services, minimizing latency to improve user experience, and meeting data-warehousing and reporting needs.
You will be directly responsible for solutions for the platform in these key areas: availability, latency, performance, efficiency, monitoring, emergency response, and capacity planning.
This is a new role in the company. The engineering team has been historically responsible for the devops and infrastructure management tasks, but we are looking to dedicate more resources toward it. You will have the responsibility and breadth to create a role with the following goals:
- Build and maintain services, automation, and tooling that will positively impact key areas
- With our team, be responsible for the systems you build
- Drive continuous improvement by measuring and reducing the amount of manual operational work
- Help us measure and improve reliability and performance across the product line by working with product owners and engineering teams
- Make wise decisions balancing availability and delivery, and communicating those decisions clearly
- Be an active participant and internal evangelist for our shared processes, such as blameless post-mortems
- Work with engineering teams as a subject matter expert on operating software and systems at scale, teaching them from your experience or know-how, and helping them reach their goals
- Investigate system performance, errors, and problems
- 4+ years of relevant, professional working experience
- Experience operating services running in the cloud (AWS and/or GCP)
- Experience with Terraform and Ansible (or similar IaC/CM tools)
- Experience crafting and improving CI/CD pipelines using GitHub, Docker and related technologies
- Building and maintaining software addressing key SRE areas of responsibility
We are looking for someone to work in our Somerville, MA office.
Work Environment: Were a fun, growing e-commerce company, located a five-minute walk from the Davis Square Red Line stop on the border of Somerville and Cambridge. Our office has a beautifully crafted modern-rustic vibe with a casual dress code. We have a fully stocked kitchen, free coffee and snacks, bagel Mondays and other treats. We do several company events around the year, and lots of us like to have fun around the office.
Discounts: We offer discounts on hundreds of the products on our site. We even get free samples of many products. Its perfect for gift giving.
Culture of Mentorship and Learning: Youll get exposure to Bostons startup industry and the chance to learn from people on our team and from the industry. We host frequent information and expertise sharing events (formal and informal) at work and give team members the chance to attend meetups.
Compensation: Competitive salary, great benefits, a yearly bonus incentive plan based on both individual and company performance, and a great work-life balance are all part of the deal.
Your cover letter is your chance to stand out and help us get to know you. We value the human touch and the things a resume doesnt capture well. In your cover letter, please tell us about yourself by answering these questions, but dont feel the need to limit yourself:
How did you hear about us?
Why you are good fit for this position?
What is your ideal career path over the next few years?