Site Acquisition Construction Technician Lead
Starry is reinventing how people connect to the internet. Our mission focuses on two things first, on being an internet service provider committed to simplicity, transparency, and delight, and second, on providing high-speed internet to underserved communities both locally, nationally and globally. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, user experience designed to delight, and a diverse and intellectually curious company culture.
Why you'll love working here:
Starry is a fast-growing company, with incredible ambition to build new markets, and new products and services. At Starry, autonomy and creativity are rewarded; youll have control of your own time and the opportunity to develop your ideas and initiatives. Our team is tightly-knit, highly collaborative, and very driven.
Who were looking for:
Starry is looking for a tech-savvy Construction Technician Lead whod like to help us redefine how people access the internet. You will act as the face of Starry Internet Services to building owners and internet subscribers, and will be responsible for driving our network infrastructure projects by leveraging your networking knowledge.
Reporting to the Vertical Assets Construction Manager, this role will provide continued support for the construction and deployment of Vertical Asset (Beam/Hybrid Serving sites) in support of expansion of the Starry network and internet services. The Construction Technician Lead will be responsible for the installation and delivery of assigned Vertical Assets projects and build outs.
What Youll Do:
- Delight customers and provide a superior customer experience
- Install wireless equipment both Power and signal mounted on or in any combination of external and internal cabinets, antennas, coaxial cable, fiber optic, DC and UTP, CAT6, and cables on indoor and outdoor vertical structures
- Support the Starry Licensed Electrician in installing AC / DC powered equipment, including electrical panel, disconnect, and meter housing running of conduit
- Install various ground mounted equipment and power/meter cabinets/pedestals
- Running of cables and termination of wall and ceiling mounted components while on ladders and/or at heights
- Complete Fiber and UTP certification and testing
- Assist in proposal development and project preparation activities
- Complete job related as built documentation
- Complete site surveys to troubleshoot and design corrective RF and RF/fiber optic installations for existing systems
- Keep customers and Construction Manager informed of progress of installation
- Communicate and coordinate with customers and company regarding specific safety concerns, local code, and company installation requirements
- Mentor and lead Construction Technicians
- Follow safety protocols, including Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), as well as adhering to OSHA safety standards
Experience and Education Required:
- Minimum of 5+ years experience in leading construction teams to perform outdoor and in-building installation, deployment and fiber construction of telecom networks, and wireless infrastructure
- 5+ years of hands-on experience with installing and weather-proofing conduits for Outside Plant, Telephone, and Power engineering systems
- 5+ years of experience with common wireless equipment, including Fiber, Switches, Repeaters, Coaxial Cable, CAT 6 Cable, Antennas, Splitters, Fiber Cable, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to drive performance and execute against plans as well as complete installations independently in a professional manner at all job sites
- Knowledge of safe operation of vertical lift and truck mounted boom/vertical lift as well as demonstrated ability to use basic hand and power tools needed for installation projects
- Working knowledge and understanding of wireless networks, including modulation techniques (UTMS, GSM, LTE Pathing plus etc.), amplifier/antenna/cable theory
- Strong customer service and communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work well on a team
- Must be able to lift up to 60 lbs regularly, respond quickly to avoid or mitigate potentially dangerous situations, move safely over uneven terrain, safely climb ladders while carrying up to 40 lbs, and work outdoors in extreme weather
- Must adhere to OSHA safety guidelines and wear personal protective gear properly
- Must be able to bustle about, bend, squat, or stand for prolonged periods of time
We work hard, so we take care of each other and try to enjoy ourselves along the way. We have:
- Premium medical, dental, and vision coverage with no employee contribution required
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- Catered lunches every Monday & drinks during our monthly company meeting
- Snacks always on hand
- Secure bike storage in the building
- Private shower facilities in our office
- Free gym in the building
- Groups for skiing, biking, running, climbing, stretching, shuffleboard, darts, and more
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.Starry, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any applicant because of race, creed, color, age, national origin, ancestry, religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability, genetic information, veteran status, military status, application for military service or any other class protected by state or federal law.