Server & Virtualization Engineer
Wayfair is expanding in every direction - our work is never done. We are looking for a seasoned Development focused Infrastructure Engineer who is driven to help us to hone our processes and technology to better serve our fast-paced environment. Our engineering teams are constantly building, iterating upon, expanding, and replacing our systems and services.
Wayfair is looking to grow our Server Engineering team by bringing on board a talented development focused engineer to help automate the server & virtualization infrastructure, by maintaining and creating new automation tools to continue to drive transformation of our environments. This team supports the technical foundation of our rapidly growing large-scale Internet e-commerce platform and corporate applications. Our projects center around growth and scale; we are always working to improve and expand Wayfair's server environment.
Some of our projects include:
- Build a data center
- Hypervisor & VM build Automation
- Scaling Kubernetes
- Custom built hypervisor / VM monitoring tools
- Evaluations of commercial and open source hypervisors
Your role in the Wayfair Server Team:
- Help to grow the global production infrastructure that underpins our e-commerce platform
- Build, develop and maintain custom virtualization automation, monitoring and reporting tools
- Troubleshoot, resolve, and assist in complex virtualization & server related issues through code
- Participate in automation initiatives that interface with our storage & networking frameworks
- Manage stability and scalability in a large virtualization environment (12,000+ VM's / 300+ hypervisors) through code
- Mentor and share knowledge with less experienced members of the team
- Communicate with internal and external parties to refine requests and create a design/plan to address the true goal (which is not necessarily the same as the request)
- Take complex projects and break them down into smaller delegate-able piece
- BA or BS degree from a 4-year college or university or equivalent experience
- 3+ years coding experience.
- Ability to script in go is not required but a plus
- 3+ years of experience with virtualization technologies in a production environment preferred
- Infrastructure background preferred but not required.
- Understanding of other virtualization technologies (KVM, Hyper-V, Citrix/XCP) is not required but a plus
- Very strong troubleshooting skills
- Ability to work through ambiguity to discover the true driving factors and can make design decisions
- Familiar with Puppet, Chef or comparable automation tools preferred.
- Familiar with Linux, RHEL and/or CentOS a large plus
- Familiar with containers
Other traits we look for:
- Excellent interpersonal and team building skills
- An easy-going attitude and strong sense of humor
- A positive, people-oriented and energetic attitude
- An analytical, creative, and innovative approach to solving problems
- An interest in working hard and being challenged in a fast-paced environment, and having fun while doing it
Wayfair generated $5.2 billion in net revenue for the twelve months ended March 31, 2018. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts with operations throughout North America and Europe, the company employs more than 8,700 people.
Visit our Site: http://www.wayfair.com
Read our Engineering Blog: http://engineering.wayfair.com/
Find us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/wayfair
Follow us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/wayfair
Check out our YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/therealwayfair