6 River Systems (6RS) is a Shopify (SHOP) company leading the way to faster fulfillment. E-commerce has changed the world and our solutions power winning warehouses of the future. Were revolutionizing warehouse automation with collaborative mobile robots driven by artificial intelligence and advanced cloud-based software.
As a Senior Sustaining Engineer at 6RS, you will design, build and improve the reliability and life of the next generation of autonomous mobile robots operating in warehouses of the future. You will work with partners in the product, engineering, deployment and support teams to anticipate and quickly identify field failures, and develop fast reliable resolutions to technical problems affecting customers. You will have a solid understanding of Reliability and Sustainability engineering, as well as mechanical product development (including concept generation, design, analysis, prototyping, test/verification, and transition to manufacturing). You may also lead junior engineers or consultants to help accelerate resolutions.
In this position, you will:
- Design, develop and validate complex systems that integrate content and constraints from several engineering disciplines
- Contribute to product development at all stages of the product life cycle, from early concept through production and sustaining
- Be a leader within the engineering department advocating for best practices, driving cross functional collaboration and continuous improvement of designs, processes and tools
- Pursue the rapid creation and transfer of knowledge to drive technical progress and efficient decision making
- Review the work of others to ensure a high technical standard and consistency
- Clearly and proactively communicate to others within and across projects and functions
- Analyze field failures to determine root causes, impact to the business, and resolutions
- Conduct reliability testing on products, working with Supply Chain to create end-to-end resolutions on components that negatively impact the product
- Create and manage projects with manufacturing partners for sourced components experiencing failures.
- Work with Supply Chain to forecast component failures, ensuring that replacement parts meet specifications and quality standards, and are readily available for use in the field.
Were looking for a candidate with:
- B.S. in mechanical engineering, (M.S. preferred)
- 5+ years demonstrated success delivering complex electromechanical systems including industrial automation equipment, robots or similar systems that combine actuation systems, motion control, custom sensor integration, electronics, thermal systems, or similar content.
- Strong fundamentals in the field of Mechanical Engineering including design and analysis from 1st principles, failure analysis and system integration
- Subject matter expertise in one or more of the following areas: FEA, Machine design, tolerance analysis, GD&T, DFx, Sheet Metal Design, Product Compliance
- Ability to lead a cross-functional team of engineers through influence. A willingness to share know-how and best practices learned through your years of real-world experience
- Expertise in trade-off analysis for complicated system design; identifying problems, proposing and evaluating candidate solutions and driving towards the best solution
- Experience in 3D CAD (SolidWorks preferred), PDM and revision control
Why 6RS? Recognized by the Boston Globe as a Top Place to Work
- Entrepreneurial spirit of a start-up combined with the stability of a global commerce company
- Competitive compensation packages and Shopify RSUs
- Company-paid health, dental, and vision coverage for all employees
- Paid holidays, vacation/sick time, and parental leave
- Annual 401k contribution from the company
- Lifestyle spending account
About 6 River Systems
Founded in Waltham, Massachusetts in 2015, 6 River Systems is a leading collaborative mobile robotics fulfilment solution and part of global commerce company Shopify. Founders Jerome Dubois and Rylan Hamilton were previously executives at Kiva Systems (now Amazon Robotics). The 6 River Systems solution is operating in more than 20 facilities in the U.S., Canada and Europe, fulfilling millions of units each week for companies including Lockheed Martin, CSAT Solutions, ACT Fulfillment, DHL, XPO Logistics, and Office Depot. To learn more, visit www.6river.com.
Shopify is a leading global commerce company, providing trusted tools to start, grow, market, and manage a retail business of any size. Shopify makes commerce better for everyone with a platform and services that are engineered for reliability, while delivering a better shopping experience for consumers everywhere. Headquartered in Ottawa, Canada, Shopify powers over one million businesses in more than 175 countries and is trusted by brands such as Allbirds, Gymshark, PepsiCo, Staples, and many more. For more information, visit www.shopify.com.