Senior Manager - Back End/Engineering
By applying to this position, your application is automatically considered for the range of Engineering leadership roles we have at Wayfair. If we think you might be a fit, a recruiter will reach out to learn more about your background and discuss relevant positions in more detail.
Who We Are:
Wayfair believes everyone should live in a home they love. Through technology and innovation, we make it possible for shoppers to quickly and easily find exactly what they want from a selection of more than 14 million items across home furnishings, dcor, home improvement, housewares and more. Partnering with Product, Experience Design, Analytics and business leaders across Wayfair, our Engineering teams ensure that were building technology that solves important customer problems in elegant, scalable, measurable ways.
Our Engineering organization includes a variety of teams solving interesting problems:
- Storefront: Shopping for your home can be overwhelming. Wayfair is an extreme case - it's visited by two million people daily, shopping across more than 14 million products. Our software engineering teams work to make an extremely complex process seamless for our customers. Shopping for your home should be exciting, and we want every customer to come away feeling like they've found the perfect item for them.
- Wayfairs Ad Tech & Customer Intelligence Engineering team builds solutions that let Wayfair communicate with new and existing customers effectively across advertising, email, and onsite touchpoints. This team is at the intersection of product, marketing, data science, and technology which allows us to be a leader in the Ad Technology space. We are using cutting edge intelligent systems, big data at scale, and world class ad tech to drive phenomenal growth in a multi-billion dollar business.
- The Supply Chain teams are responsible for all of the systems related to the physical movement of Wayfair products. Everything from warehousing, order tracking, inventory forecasting to routing systems and final mile delivery. This group is essential to ensuring customers are provided with the best service experience in e-commerce. The majority of Wayfairs business is built on repeat customers and it is important for them to have a smooth delivery experience to ensure they keep them coming back.
- The Sales, Service and Enterprise platforms are focused on building and improving software that directly impacts customers, customer service agents, sales associates, Finance, Talent Management and external vendors. Our engineers are responsible for all the tools and processes to support these business-critical operations of Wayfair, along with supporting the continued enhancement and scaling capabilities of these systems. Engineers use data, user-centric design, machine learning, and Agile to achieve operational excellence, fueling company growth.
What You'll Do?
- Own one of our core platform teams from end to end and architect solutions at scale to empower the business.
- Build relationships with technical leaders and business decision-makers to develop cross functional technology and enhance collaboration, information sharing, decision-making, and influence decisions.
- Take operational ownership of the platform, advocating for best practices to ensure up-time/reliability.
- Develop junior engineers and build an engaged team in addition to a successful platform.
- Constantly re-evaluate the technology solutions by staying ahead of industry trends and emerging technologies.
- Demonstrate strong motivation and drive to improve and develop the existing processes to the next level.
- Be willing and ready to acquire new skills and knowledge to develop both professionally and personally.
What youll need:
- 7+ years of professional experience in a engineering and/or technical lead role
- Experience of leading/managing Engineers for at least 4 years
- Experience with big data, streaming technologies and/or RESTful web service development
- Driven engineering leader that can motivate creative thinkers and roll up your sleeves when necessary
- Experience with Object Oriented Programming, Test Driven Development, and Distributed Systems
- Expertise in back-end or full-stack development including object-oriented programming and large systems design.
Wayfair is one of the worlds largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, were reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If youre looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then youll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. Were a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair and world for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. Thats why were proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.