Senior Software Engineer, Tooling and Automation
We are expanding our tooling & automation team and need talented software engineers who want to build custom capabilities for Wayfair. If you've ever thought, "There has got to be an easier way!" here is your chance to drive that innovation and make an impact across our entire engineering department!
What a Tooling & Automation Sr. Engineer does:
- Envision how engineering-wide tools and systems such as version control, custom command-line tools, alerting and logging infrastructure, automated testing platforms, and more all come together to create a delightful engineering experience.
- Proactively reach out to teams to build relationships, discover opportunities, and champion changes which reduce friction, and empower engineers.
- Distill their years of experience in the industry to apply best practices, quality standards, and architectural decisions to an ever-growing codebase in the midst of a rapidly moving engineering organization.
- Drive architectural decisions that shape the way >800 software engineers at Wayfair get their work done.
- Be a relentless advocate for the engineering experience by gathering feedback, proposing solutions, and taking ideas from proof-of-concept to production.
- Support and mentor new members of the team as well as engineers throughout the organization.
- Possess a strong conviction that delivering a delightful development experience to large engineering teams is a challenging, rewarding, and highly impactful endeavor.
- Have experience managing large scale software systems and/or teams, either in an open- or closed-source situation.
- Believe that technology problems cannot be solved in a vacuum, and are quick to establish and leverage relationships to deliver excellent results.
- Entice others into taking action. Comfortable speaking to peers of varying levels of experience to persuade people into taking action.
- Understand that today’s best practices eventually become tomorrow’s bad habits. Always challenging your own personal tools to find better / more efficient ways of getting things done.
- Able to work from unknowns to solutions through feedback and investigation.
For bonus points, have:
- A good sense of humor and deadly accuracy with Nerf guns.
- Experience with Puppet, Docker (or other forms of containerization), Vagrant, VirtualBox or VMware, Selenium and/or Codeception.
- An active GitHub account.
- Experience presenting at meetups or conferences.
About Development Platforms
On the Development Platforms team, you'll build world-class tools, systems, and automation; grow relationships with dozens of talented engineering teams; and become a force multiplier for >850 engineers. Extensive experience in software development and solving technical problems at the human level is paramount to success.
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair believes everyone should live in a home they love. Through technology and innovation, Wayfair makes it possible for shoppers to quickly and easily find exactly what they want from a selection of more than 10 million items across home furnishings, décor, home improvement, housewares and more. Committed to delighting its customers every step of the way, Wayfair is reinventing the way people shop for their homes - from product discovery to final delivery.
The Wayfair family of sites includes:
- Wayfair, an online destination for all things home
- Joss & Main, where beautiful furniture and finds meet irresistible savings
- AllModern, unbelievable prices on everything modern
- Birch Lane, a collection of classic furnishings and timeless home décor
- Perigold, unparalleled access to the finest home décor and furnishings
Wayfair generated $5.2 billion in net revenue for the twelve months ended March 31, 2018. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts with operations throughout North America and Europe, the company employs more than 8,700 people.