Senior Software Engineer, Search Platform
Chewy is hiring a Senior Software Engineer, Search Platform for our E commerce Systems team in Boston, MA. You will be a key member responsible for building, scaling, and maintaining our search platform to deliver solutions and features for the leading online pet retailer in the US.
What you'll do:
- You will lead a join a team that is responsible for the vision, strategy, product roadmap, and development of Chewy’s core ecommerce search platform. You will have significant influence over the vision, features, and design of this critical platform.
- This is a high-profile position that will have exposure across the entire business.
- You will write simple and sustainable code that reflects a constant understanding of the business impacts. This is a terrific opportunity to join a thriving startup and have a significant role in its success. There is a tremendous opportunity to grow professionally and to be a part of a dynamic and successful team.
What you'll need:
- 5+ years of experience in Java, open source frameworks (Java 7/8/9, gRPC, REST, micro-services, serverless environments)
- 3+ years of search engine experience (SOLR, ElasticSearch, or similar)
- 3+ Experience on Amazon AWS environment (or similar)
- Scaling search services to support exponential growth in number of transactions and catalog listings
- Experience with search personalization
- To be a self-driven quick learner with the ability to adapt to custom systems with attention to detail and quality
- The ability to troubleshoot and resolve non-trivial search related issues
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices for the full software development life cycle including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Proficiency in Computer Science fundamentals – object oriented design, data structures, algorithm - design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
- Experience mentoring and training the engineering community on complex technical issues
- Have or (more importantly) be willing to learn deep domain knowledge in the area of retail e-commerce.
- Ranking/Scoring of search results with advanced Machine Learning models having millions of ranking features.
- Experience in Query Understanding or Intent detection based on query log mining to provide more accurate search results.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Math, Physics or Electrical Engineering
- Experience with Scrum, XP or other agile methodologies a plus.
- Excellent communication skills with both technical and business people.
- Experience with data analysis/mining in large scale database environments a plus.
- A working knowledge of optimization algorithms (e.g., linear programming) and mathematical modeling a plus.
- Development platforms for CI/CD: Atlassian tools (JIRA, Bitbucket, Bamboo), Gradle, Junit, Mokito, Log4J, Linux