Senior Software Engineer - Operations Research
The Operations Research team at Wayfair is looking for a software engineer with knowledge of Python and a solid scientific computing or mathematics background towork with us putting our models into production. This may involve working with Python web services, Spark (via PySpark), databases, caching systems, and other technologies. Your responsibilities will include automating large-scale batch processes, maintaining and improving performance of Python/Cython/C++ code, helping define best practices for maintainable code and processes, and working with other engineering teams to define APIs and integrate systems.
What you wont be doing is re-writing poorly implemented research code. Our team does not believe in throwing ad-hoc models over the fence for others to productionize and maintain. We expect the models we develop will follow good software design practices. To that end, we have an active code review processand take maintainability and quality seriously. However, were experts in modeling and mathematical optimization, not software engineering. Thats where you come in: we want you to use your expertise in effectively building reliable systems to expose our work for consumption by a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Architecting a system to support the optimization of delivery truck routes and schedules to support order-in-cart for large parcel deliveries from our DAs
- Generating replenishment proposals for hundreds of thousands of products stored in the Wayfair Stocking or Castlegate programs
- Determining the selection of warehouses that will be used to fulfill small parcel orders to drive cost reduction, maintain inventory balance across our network, andincrease 1- and 2-day delivery guarantees
- Allowing interactive edits of Supplier Order Proposals and re-optimizing in real-time to respond to constraints and information not available during a batch run
- Generating optimal pick lists and routes for warehouse personnel as they fulfill orders, and optimal positioning of products within a warehouse
- Replacing commercial optimization software that no longer fits Wayfairs needs or scale
- Strong math background / quantitative skills
- Strong back-end programming ability
- Familiarity with Python programming
- Comfort with agile software development as well as less predictable prototyping / research work
- Proven ability to communicate cross functionally
Bonus points for:
- Expertise in Python programming
- Experience with large-scale distributed, parallel computation
- Experience designing and implementing RESTful APIs (especially with the Wayfair Python web stack)
- Knowledge of Python optimization approaches and technology
- Familiarity with mathematical optimization techniques: linear and integer programming
- Familiarity with Statistics / Probability
Wayfair Inc.offers an extensive selection of home furnishings and dcor across all styles and price points. TheWayfairfamily of sites includes:
- Wayfair, an online destination for all things home
- Joss& Main, where beautiful furniture and finds meet irresistible savings
- AllModern, unbelievable prices on everything modern
- DwellStudio, unexpected modern design for everyday life
- Birch Lane, a collection of classic furnishings and timeless home dcor
Wayfairgenerated$3.6 billionin net revenue for the twelve months ended March31, 2017. Headquartered inBoston, Massachusettswith operations throughoutNorth AmericaandEurope, the company employs more than 5,700 people. The company has previously been named one of Americas Most Promising Companies by Forbes Magazine and selected by the Boston Business Journal and Glassdoor.com as a Top Company to Work For and Top Company for Well Balanced Life.
*** This position is ONLY for on-site in our Boston, MA headquarters ***
Wayfair does not accept unsolicited candidate referrals or resumes / CVs from third-party vendors, including recruitment agencies. Wayfair will not be responsible or liable for any fees or costs associated with such unsolicited submissions.