At ActBlue Technical Services, we build and maintain a powerful online fundraising platform for Democratic campaigns, progressive organizations, and nonprofits working to create a better future. Our mission is to put power in the hands of small-dollar donors by making it easier for grassroots supporters to make their voices heard and by helping thousands of groups from presidential candidates to environmental organizations build people-powered movements.
As an engineer with ActBlue Technical Services, you'll be an essential contributor to the capabilities, performance, and security of our platform. We build software that supports millions of page loads every minute. In the 2018 election cycle alone, our platform handled over 40M contributions made from 5M donors.
Our engineering and product organization is made up of 30+ people (and growing!). Were organized into cross-functional teams of 3-6 people with clear areas of complementary focus. Teams operate independently in alignment with the broader organizational goals. In this role, you will get to work with agency in concert with your peer engineers, Product Managers, and UX colleagues.
You will be contributing to our inclusive environment, fostering a culture that brings out the best in yourself and your colleagues. Your manager will be your champion and coach and will help ensure you are able to grow as an individual while you contribute to the excellence and advancement of our platform.
We offer autonomy, responsibility, and a team of amazing in-office and remote colleagues, plus generous benefits including an employer-sponsored 401k contribution plan, a flexible time off policy, and a competitive professional development stipend.
This role is for a Senior Software Engineer (Frontend) on our Donor Experience team. Our mission is to empower millions of small-dollar donors to make their voices heard in our democracy by making donating to candidates and causes they support seamless. Our areas of responsibility include the entire donation experience, user account management, transactional emails, and user security.
What youll be doing:
- Building out features within a complex React application that powers every contribution form served by ActBlue
- Experimenting with new payment methods, UX flows, and other optimizations to increase conversion rates
- Providing seamless cross-device UX/UI for donors giving through ActBlue
- Improving tools for developing and deploying the application
- Mentoring other engineers
- Helping to build a collaborative, inclusive team culture
What youll (mostly) be working with:
- Our stack: Ruby on Rails, React, Redux, and other modern front-end technologies
- A team of passionate, curious, and innovative professionals
Please note that experience and expertise in these specific technologies are not necessarily required. We care more about your problem-solving skills, general software engineering competencies, and adaptability.
What youll bring:
- Should have:
- Significant experience working on high-volume applications: You consider optimizing for performance integral to feature completeness
- Drive to continually increase usability, performance, and accessibility for all devices
- Awareness of security and ability to defensively program against common client-side vulnerability patterns
- Comfortable incrementally improving legacy systems and leaving code better than you found it
- Experience and willingness to collaborate with designers and contribute to UI code (including CSS)
- An inclusive, generous working style: You like to mentor, collaborate, and elevate your team by supporting your peers
- Eagerness to dig into data and design and implement A/B tests in order to optimize outcomes
- A track record of curiosity in adopting new technology and bringing back what youve learned to improve your teams work
Our Engineering Values:
- We believe that ideas are more important than technologies.
- We understand that the tools we build have real-world consequences for millions of people and take that responsibility seriously.
- We know that code isnt just a set of instructions for machines, but communication with other humans; style, elegance, and respect are important.
- We believe that an ability to balance paying off technical debt and rapidly completing a project contributes to the health of the codebase, engineering team, and organization.
- We believe that being correct isnt enough; respect for your colleagues and users is fundamental.
You can work in our Somerville, MA HQ; our satellite office in Portland, OR; or remotely from anywhere in the US (CA, MD, NY, RI, TX, UT, and WI are preferred).
Were a growing team passionate about changing our country. Each and every one of us is fully committed to our mission, and we are looking for new team members who match our passion and are ready to dive in! If you're interested, send your resume to email@example.com!
We offer a competitive salary and a generous compensation package, which includes commuter benefits; fully paid and trans-inclusive health, dental, and vision insurance; an employer-sponsored 401k contribution plan; a generous professional development stipend; three months paid parental leave for all genders, adoptions included; and a flexible time off policy.
Women, people of color, LGBTQIA2S+ individuals, and members of other minority or marginalized groups are strongly encouraged to apply. ActBlue is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against candidates on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status.
ActBlue cannot at this time sponsor work visas.
More Jobs From