Senior Site Reliability Engineer-Containers
Senior Site Reliability Engineer - Containers
Boston, MA, United States
Wayfair is a leader in the ecommerce space for all things home. We live and breathe modern technologies. We are a “move fast break things, rethink old standards” team with a startup feel but working with massive scale.
We’re looking for smart, logical thinkers who produce and advocate for performant and scalable architecture. We are as much concerned about thought leadership, community involvement, and the ever-changing SRE landscape. We’re particularly interested in engineers who can help us develop our container onboarding strategy and help us adopt Kubernetes into our existing infrastructure.
On the Site Reliability Engineering team as a Senior Site Reliability Engineer in Containers you’ll have a multitude of opportunities to flex your strengths as well as learn new things while directly assisting our internal customers. We contribute to (and create) bleeding-edge open source projects and continuously push the envelope to explore the future of ecommerce and modern infrastructure systems.
What the Wayfair Site Reliability Engineering team does:
- Writes clean, high-performance, and well tested, infrastructure code with a focus on reusability and automation (Shell, Python, GoLang, Powershell, Puppet, Salt).
- Experience deploying applications to containers (Docker, Kubernetes).
- Create and maintain detailed documentation.
- Develops monitoring, defines service levels, and helps coordinate product launches and reliability exercises.
- Recommends and implements infrastructure best practices in alignment with standard SRE principles and provide guidance on system performance.
What the Senior Site reliability Engineer in Containers role entails:
- Helps determine the future roadmap of platforms and services in container space.
- Coordinates projects with the rest of the team.
- Communicates with other teams at Wayfair on a shared, long-term vision of containers and Kubernetes.
- Helps business stakeholders and other engineers understand the impact of containerization.
- Mentors junior engineers and helps develop their skills while assisting them on projects.
You should have have:
- 8+ years experience in systems and/or software engineering.
- 5+ years of primarily DevOps/SRE engineer experience.
- 5+ years Experience in one or more programing languages used in infrastructure (Ruby, PHP, Python, Go, etc as well as familiarity with version control such as Git).
- 5+ years Experience with IaaS and PaaS architecture and deployments.
- 5+ years Experience working with configuration management tools (Puppet, Salt, Chef, or Ansible).
- 2+ years experience with a public cloud provider (AWS, GCP, AZURE).
- 2+ years experience with a container platform (Docker, rkt, CoreOS, Mesos, Kubernetes).
Good things to have:
- Experience managing a full application stack with high availability requirements.
- Involvement in some on-premise to cloud migration, or some container adoption strategy.
- Experience with performance tuning on Linux kernels.
- Expertise in performance testing tools and best practices.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Proven ability to collaborate and work well within a team.
- BA/BS degree from a 4-year college or university.
Other things we will notice:
- An active GitHub account.
- Attend Devops/SRE meetups.
- Database, NoSQL, or Caching exposure.
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair believes everyone should live in a home they love. Through technology and innovation, Wayfair makes it possible for shoppers to quickly and easily find exactly what they want from a selection of more than 10 million items across home furnishings, décor, home improvement, housewares and more. Committed to delighting its customers every step of the way, Wayfair is reinventing the way people shop for their homes – from product discovery to final delivery.
The Wayfair family of sites includes:
- Wayfair, an online destination for all things home
- Joss & Main, where beautiful furniture and finds meet irresistible savings
- AllModern, unbelievable prices on everything modern
- Birch Lane, a collection of classic furnishings and timeless home décor
- Perigold, unparalleled access to the finest home décor and furnishings
Wayfair generated $4.7 billion in net revenue for the twelve months ended December 31, 2017. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts with operations throughout North America and Europe, the company employs more than 7,700 people.