Office Tour Photos
PatientsLikeMeis a patient network that improves lives and a real-time research platform thatadvancesmedicine. Through the network, patients connect with others who have the same diseaseor condition andtrack and share their own experiences. In the process, they generate data about thereal-world nature ofdisease that help researchers, pharmaceutical companies, regulators, providers,and non-profits developmore effective products, services and care. With more than 500,000 members,PatientsLikeMeis a trusted sourcefor real-world disease information and a clinically robust resourcethat has published more than 80 peer-reviewed research studies.
We are in the extraordinary position of building a massive health data set, as we are adding longitudinal multiple-modalityomics data to our uniquepatient-reported health data. We are looking for a highly motivatedBioinformaticsSeniorScientistto join theTranslational SciencesdepartmentatPatientsLikeMe.The successful candidatewillhavethe opportunitytoimparta significant impact on the development of this program.The ideal candidate will be eagertoidentify, design,implementand documenteffective solutions.Thecandidatemustbecomfortable working as part of a team,oftenwithin areas outside of their expertise,andrequiringeffectivecommunication with colleaguesof various backgrounds, skill sets, and educational experience.The multi-disciplinary nature of the project affords great opportunity for a candidates growth and development.
- Build and maintain robust, scalable pipelines for the QA/QC, processing, and analysis of omics data including, but not limited to,WGS, RNA Seq,proteomics,metabolomics,andDNAmethylomics
- Help evaluate the best parameters for biological and clinicalanalyses
- Identify strategiesand algorithmstomosteffectively use multi-platform, multi-batchdata
- Communicate results in aclear,concise,andeffectivemannerusing variousstatistical metrics and visualizations
- Workclosely with multipleinternalteamsincludingdataengineering,clinical operations,knowledge management, translational,and computational biologists, as well asexternallywithomicsmeasurementvendors
The ideal candidate willhave many of these qualifications:
- Education:Masters orPhDin a related field (e.g., bioinformatics, mathematics, statistics, bioengineering, computer science) andexperience with the skills mentioned above, orBachelorswith commensurate experience.
- Senior Scientists typically have 3 - 5 years of professional experience.
- Experience developing and maintaining -omics pipelines in a variety of languages
- Familiarity with statistical analysis of complexdata, preferably inthebiologicalsciences
- Proficiencyin at least one general-purpose programming language (Python preferred). Some R/MATLAB or similar experience strongly desired. Must be comfortable working in languages that are not your primary.
- General understanding of machine learning concepts
- Some familiarity with biology/genomics/systems biology/immunology
- Experience workingwith databasesof various types (postgres,mysql, mongo,etc),andawareness of data warehouses, data lakes, and other Big Data concepts
- Significant experiencewrangling data
- Know how to interface with[restful/graphql]APIs
- Have used AWS/Google Cloud/Azure to perform project-critical tasks
- Have a heartfelt appreciation of science anda respect for the use of data to identify the closest approximation of truthHave the cognitive dissonance ofa desire togetthe most correct answer possible while acknowledgingthe business need for rapid iteration andthe inherent imperfectionthat requires
- Have empathy for consumers of information which generates a desire to produceeffectivedisplays/visualizations/presentations of complicated data
More Jobs From