The Senior Business Analyst is a key position reporting directly to the VP, Sales & Services HMH IT is evolving its organization, and this new position will play a pivotal role in establishing IT as a strategic business partner that understands, enables, and improves core business strategy, processes, and operations through technology solution design and delivery. We are looking for an exceptional Business Analyst to partner with business stakeholders to identify business needs and technology solution opportunities, and lead enhancement projects for existing applications, scope, design, build and deploy new applications, and onboard third-party SAAS solutions.
The ideal candidate must have deep understanding of the business function, processes, leading practices, and application landscape. They must be able to lead cross-functional teams through the development lifecycle. The Sr. Business Analyst must have outstanding verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to drive clarity and consensus around business requirements, technology solution options across business and technical audiences. In order to be effective, the candidate must have the ability to quickly build effective working relationships with business and technical teams across multiple locations. This position will be located in Boston, MA and may require 25-50% travel to business partner locations.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Build strong partnerships with business and technical development teams, in Boston, Dublin, other US locations and off-shore, to create business deliverables such as Requirements or User Story Backlog, Business Requirements Documents, Business Process Maps, Functional Specifications, Test Plans, Deployment Plans, User Adoption Plans, and other relevant documentation
- Facilitate workshops with business stakeholders to develop requirements
- Work with business and technical development teams to support the translation of Business Requirements and Functional Specification Documents into Technical Requirements and oversee solution development/build, ensuring requirements/user stories are traceable and enabled by the solution
- Take ownership of the Solution Manager inputs into projects, coordinating activities, managing deadlines and escalating risks and issues
- Develop process and data mapping for systems
- Act as key liaison between business stakeholders and technical development team, building and managing strong relationships within the business functions
- Create and manage test plans to ensure solutions are ready for production deployment
- Work closely with business stakeholders to build, refine and prioritise requirements or user story backlogs
- Advise and recommend technology solution options that may satisfy business requirements and improve effectiveness of the business
- Apply problem solving techniques and product capability knowledge to ensure appropriate solutions
- Support change requirements through accurate impact analysis and change specifications
- Drive quality through adherence to and supporting project management processes and procedures, including the maintenance of documentation on shared file systems
- Identify issues/events that could affect resources, schedule, budget, scope and/or deadline; escalate issues to appropriate parties for resolution
- Prepare and deliver presentations
- Provide support to business stakeholders and project managers to help drive business initiatives, including all phases of development lifecycle through user adoption
Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or an IT related technical discipline or 5+ years of industry software engineering experience
- 5-10 years of experience in a business analyst role, directly engaging business stakeholders to design, build, and deploy technology solutions
- Experience in leading technology projects (waterfall and agile) across the entire development lifecycle for large enterprise software applications, with deep experience in Salesforce.com
- Deep understanding of core business processes related to lead generation, sales and services operations and processes.
- Ability to clearly and concisely gather, interpret, analyze and document information
- Ability to establish creative solutions to meet requirements
- Strong project management capabilities, including managing project plans, identification and escalation of dependencies, risks, and issues.
- Excellent workshop/interview facilitation skills
- Proven experience in analytical, research and problem-solving techniques
- Intellectual curiosity and the ability to question thought partners across functional areas
- Excellent understanding of business complexity and project interdependencies
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (both verbal & written), including the ability to articulate complex processes and concepts to non-experts
- Experience working in and leading cross-functional teams (including virtual teams) and mentoring more junior team members
- Motivated self-starter with a proven ability to manage own work, prioritize effectively and manage-up to provide updates, escalate help needed, and ensure alignment with broader technology roadmap
- Detail-oriented, analytical, and accurate
- Might be in a stationary position for a considerable time (sitting and/or standing)
- The person in this position needs to move about inside office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc
- Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer
- Must be able to collaborate with colleagues via face to face, conference calls, and online meetings
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (NASDAQ:HMHC) is a global learning company dedicated to changing people’s lives by fostering passionate, curious learners. As a leading provider of pre-K–12 education content, services, and cutting-edge technology solutions across a variety of media, HMH enables learning in a changing landscape. HMH is uniquely positioned to create engaging and effective educational content and experiences from early childhood to beyond the classroom. HMH serves more than 50 million students in over 150 countries worldwide, while its award-winning children's books, novels, non-fiction, and reference titles are enjoyed by readers throughout the world.
For more information, visit http://careers.hmhco.com
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt is an equal employment opportunity employer and participates in E-Verify. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of gender, race/ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, or other protected group status.
More Jobs From