Office Tour Photos
The Advanced R&D group at Desktop Metal seeks a Senior Research Engineer to contribute to the development of next-generation metal 3D printers.
Desktop Metal is reinventing the way metal and composite parts are produced - from prototyping through mass production. Founded with the mission to make additive manufacturing accessible to engineers and designers, Desktop Metal offers multiple revolutionary 3D printing systems, addressing the need for easy-to-use, cost-effective, and scalable 3D printing. In addition to this, our software solutions elevate the additive manufacturing industry at every step in the fabrication process.
The Advanced R&D group is a small (<10) team within Desktop Metal dedicated to bringing new printing technologies to market. Team members tend to be hands-on generalists who span several engineering disciplines and contribute to the project accordingly. Technical and strategic decisions are made collaboratively and all members participate in brainstorming and design reviews, regardless of job title or experience level.
- Contribute to the development of printer hardware and systems for next-generation 3D printers, through the design, fabrication, and testing of test fixtures, custom instrumentation, and printer subsystems.
- Contribute to the development of printing processes to produce accurate, functional metal parts with next-generation 3D printing technology, through process design and testing.
- Excellent grasp of mechanical engineering fundamentals, and ability to use this knowledge to inform designs and experiments
- Excellent design sense and engineering intuition, coupled with the ability to evaluate ideas via basic hand-calculations and order-of-magnitude estimation based on the relevant physics
- Ability to design and run efficient experiments at the correct level of fidelity
- Ability to troubleshoot issues, determine root causes, and propose and implement solutions
- Ability to find, understand and apply unfamiliar technologies to technical problems
- Proficiency with SolidWorks CAD software, including part design and large-assembly management
- Proficiency with machine tools (manual and preferably CNC mill, lathe, drill press, band saw, etc.) as needed to make modifications to existing parts and create parts from stock.
- Ability to complete projects independently but ask for help/guidance when needed
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with frequent changes in task priority and scope.
- Ability to work in a small team as well as independently to achieve project goals.
Preferred Background/Experience Areas:
- Comfort with and interest in materials science
- 3D printing -- code-level familiarity with slicing software a plus
- High-temperature, vacuum and/or inert atmospheres
- Line- and low-voltage electrical systems, industrial electronics (sensors, switches, etc.), and basic logic circuits
- HSMWorks CAM
- Motion control
- Design of Experiments
- Hot work including soldering/brazing and light welding (TIG)
- FEA (static, thermal, flow)
More Jobs From