Love dogs? Have an eye for design? This is the place for you!
Discover your dog more than fur deep with the most comprehensive DNA test on the market. Designed by world leaders in dog genetics, in partnership with Cornell University, the Embark DNA Test tells owners what breeds make up their pets, how to prevent future possible health problems, and what features and traits their pet might have. Help us end preventable disease in dogs and improve the lives of pets and their people through genomics.
Embark is the only dog DNA test using a research-grade DNA microarray, letting us give our customers the most accurate and comprehensive results on the market. More importantly, it allows us to do ongoing research into the genetics of dogs, which are a fantastic population for genetic discovery due to selective breeding over time. Our research focuses on mapping new traits and diseases, improving personalized veterinary medicine, and developing new breeding programs to eliminate preventable diseases in pets.
Interested in joining? Were looking for highly motivated and driven employees who will help us stay on the cutting edge of creativity and innovation in the fast-growing consumer genetics space.
Are you a design unicorn looking to join a world-class team with chops in: Research, HCD, and interaction design? Do you have a passion for building products and features from the ground up using your mad skills? Have you ever wanted to work on new and cutting-edge technology? Do you like puppies? If youve answered yes to all of these questions, it's time for you to join our mighty design team at Embark.
Were looking for fullstack UX or product designers with a balanced and battle-tested skill set to drive delightful experiences in partnership with our Product and Engineering teams. Weve got some incredible game-changing challenges for you to solve from concept to commercialization that will build the future of dog care.
This role will explore the world of purebred dogs and dog breeders, and will require someone experienced in field research as well as designing solutions. You will be building net new web experiences and features, refining existing ones, implementing new branding, and conducting service design explorations around how our physical product connects into our digital experience.
The Opportunity (The day-to-day)
- Roll up your sleeves and own product design across multiple products
- Unleash your HCD toolkit of ideation, journey mapping, user flows, etc
- Participate in design critiques and collaborate with the design team
- Collaborate on branding, look-and-feel, marketing, and overall product + service experienc
- Conduct observational field research on purebred dog owners and dog breeders
- Create beautiful, emotionally compelling, pixel-perfect mockups of the end-to-end user experience
- Iterate on prototypes with users and conduct usability testing
- Collaborate with partners on validation strategies
- Capture all states, cases, and functional logic in partnership with Product and Engineering team to ensure seamless execution
- Present your research findings and design work to stakeholders
- Build short-term and long-term experience strategies supporting our roadmap
- Be a champion to delight dog breeders and pet owners
- At least 7+ years of experience as a end-to-end designer delivering best-in-class products and features from concept to commercialization
- A kickass portfolio that demonstrates your skills across all design stages, HCD practices, visual/UI design, and research chops (especially in the web space)
- Experience with embedded teams and partnering directly with Product Management and Engineering teams to build products
- Mastery of industry-standard design tools, e.g. Figma, Sketch, Zeplin, Adobe CC Suite, Invision, et al.
- Tenured experience in designing web and web apps for both B2C and B2B brands
- Demonstrated ability to build a research strategies, write interview guides, facilitate user studies, and utilize platforms like UserTesting.com
- Strong ability to conduct design audits, user flows, KPI evaluation, heuristic analysis, etc.
- Craft systematic designs that connect the dots between user needs, data, business goals, and business strategy
- Build systems of user interfaces, including typography, layout, iconography, and motion design for software engineers to implement
- A sharp eye for aesthetics, typography, pixel-perfect layouts, and visual design
- Experience with breeders, dog training, purebred dogs, or the pet industry is a plus but not required
What We Offer
- Dog-friendly office near South Station, Boston
- Perks tailored for dog lovers including subsidized dog-walking services and paw-ternity leave
- Startup perks with big-company benefits
- Competitive salaries, all-inclusive health care, and equity participation
- A flexible vacation policy along with paid maternal and paternal leave
- 401k match
- Bonus program
- Fully-stocked office snack bar and regular office events
- New iMacs and MacBook Pros
- Continuing education including attending conferences
Embark is an equal opportunity workplace and values diversity at our company. We are committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, sexual orientation, age, disability status, marital status, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by federal, state or local laws. See also EEO is the Law.